+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

No response from CRA - First time filing

le_intertwine

Apr 24, 2023
Hi there.

To give you a bit of background I’ve moved to Canada in December 2021 and started working on January 2022.

Therefore I did not filed my taxes for the 2021 taxation year as I wasn’t a tax resident of Canada but filed my taxes for the first time on April 15th 2023 in regard to the 2022 taxation year.

As this was my first year filing taxes I couldn’t even access myCRA account and so I opted for using Wealthsimple to help me on filing it electronically.
Everything went smooth and I received and email from Wealthsimple the same day confirming they submitted my taxes. Those were done together with my common-law parter that moved with me to Canada and filed taxes for the first time as well.

While my common law received a confirmation from the CRA on the following Monday, the 17th I’ve never heard back from CRA.

Later in the month the CRA went on a strike and I imagine that a few disruptions could have occurred. Despite that, on early May I started to worry since I’ve got no messages and that’s when I decided to call them.

After the long wait they told me they could confirm they received my tax filing but they couldn’t give me more information than this, since they couldn’t verify my identity as I didn’t have myCRA account (since it’s the first time I’m filing I couldn’t create it until I received the CRA mail). They also told me that I should wait two weeks because I filed it electronically, and the past two didn’t count because they were in a strike.

Two weeks passed and nothing happened and then I decided to call them again. They now said that the two weeks was something they aim to do, although it only applied to 95% of the cases, although it can take up to 12 weeks in more “complicated” tax filings (me thinking: how complicated ONE employer ONE t4 and nothing else can be, anyways), they also told me that there’s nothing I can do but wait.

Now I got to a point which 12 weeks passed, and guess what? nothing! Calling them is just a waste of time being two hours hang on the phone for them to say they can’t do nothing and I should just wait.

Cost of living in Canada is ridiculously expensive and even the benefits, which I’m entitled to, are being held off because my tax filing is still processing.

What else can I do? This is giving me feeling of helplessness where nothing can be done and no one can help. Should I get a lawyer?
If anyone ever been through this, could you give me some light?

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hi there.

To give you a bit of background I’ve moved to Canada in December 2021 and started working on January 2022.

Therefore I did not filed my taxes for the 2021 taxation year as I wasn’t a tax resident of Canada but filed my taxes for the first time on April 15th 2023 in regard to the 2022 taxation year.

As this was my first year filing taxes I couldn’t even access myCRA account and so I opted for using Wealthsimple to help me on filing it electronically.
Everything went smooth and I received and email from Wealthsimple the same day confirming they submitted my taxes. Those were done together with my common-law parter that moved with me to Canada and filed taxes for the first time as well.

While my common law received a confirmation from the CRA on the following Monday, the 17th I’ve never heard back from CRA.

Later in the month the CRA went on a strike and I imagine that a few disruptions could have occurred. Despite that, on early May I started to worry since I’ve got no messages and that’s when I decided to call them.

After the long wait they told me they could confirm they received my tax filing but they couldn’t give me more information than this, since they couldn’t verify my identity as I didn’t have myCRA account (since it’s the first time I’m filing I couldn’t create it until I received the CRA mail). They also told me that I should wait two weeks because I filed it electronically, and the past two didn’t count because they were in a strike.

Two weeks passed and nothing happened and then I decided to call them again. They now said that the two weeks was something they aim to do, although it only applied to 95% of the cases, although it can take up to 12 weeks in more “complicated” tax filings (me thinking: how complicated ONE employer ONE t4 and nothing else can be, anyways), they also told me that there’s nothing I can do but wait.

Now I got to a point which 12 weeks passed, and guess what? nothing! Calling them is just a waste of time being two hours hang on the phone for them to say they can’t do nothing and I should just wait.

Cost of living in Canada is ridiculously expensive and even the benefits, which I’m entitled to, are being held off because my tax filing is still processing.

What else can I do? This is giving me feeling of helplessness where nothing can be done and no one can help. Should I get a lawyer?
are you still not able to register for account on my CRA ? - https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/cra-login-services.html

le_intertwine

Apr 24, 2023
How about your CLP ? Are they able to register and access my CRA ?

I would recommend to check with WealthSimple then to confirm if indeed your taxes have been filed.
Not sure what CLP stands for. But no, I don’t have access to myCRA.

Wealthsimple provided me an email with a confirmation number and when I call the CRA they confirm they have received.

le_intertwine

Apr 24, 2023
Common Law Partner
Oh! Right

My CLP filed the same way as I did, a few minutes later and received the same email confirming the tax filing was sent (from Wealthsimple)
The next Monday my CLP received the email from CRA providing initial instructions to access myCRA account, and a few weeks later received the cheque with the tax refund and a password in the mail. So everything worked well.
On my CLP’s myCRA account it even says that my tax filing is being processed reason why the benefits are not available at this point.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there.

Not 12 weeks because you have to take off time for the strike and add a few days minimum for winding down and restarting after the strike. Were your taxes straightforward with just Canadian employment or do you have more complex filings with different currencies, different investments, etc. Not sure what a lawyer would do at this point. Think you are still in normal processing guidelines for more complex filings. The wealthsimple tax program may be the problem. Seen many posting how the wealthsimple program did not lead to an accurate filing and they redid their taxes using another program. If you aren’t contacted by the CRA by August I would see if your MP can find out more information.