+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"No objection to immigration" requested for adult dependent!?

jeant

Aug 10, 2007
We're being asked to provide a "no objection to immigration" from step-daughter's biological father. Here's our situation:

Sponsor, husband.
Main applicant, wife.
Dependant, step-daughter, 19 years old.

- Permanent residency application with one dependent, family class, outland processing done in Buffalo.

At the time of application step-daughter was 18 years old. She was an adult in the USA where we resided. She was an adult in Canada She was an adult in Russia, her country of origin. There wasn't a jurisdiction where could she could have still been considered a minor.

No custody papers requested for daughter but FBI clearance certificate was requested.

Questions:

a) Is Buffalo right in requesting a "no objection for immigration" from step-daughter's biological father?

b) Has anyone ever been asked such document for an adult dependent?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I'm wondering if this wasn't a timing issue. Maybe you and your daughter applied when she was just short of 18 years old?

Anyway, send them a nicely-worded response indicating the following:

* you received a request for a "no objection" document from your daughter's biological father
* the child is now over the age of 18
* include a copy of her birth certificate and/or first page of her passport
* include a copy of appendix A, item#3 of the Buffalo instructions, highlighting where it says "children under age 18"

Ask them if they still want you to provide the "no objection" document.

My guess is they'll realize the error and you won't hear anything further about it.

seeyouagain

Aug 24, 2007
Now I have the same situation.
Buffalo asks for the "no objection statement" from the biological father. They do not have any connection/contact for more than ten years. Which is really make no sense to provide that statement.

Did the suggestion work?
Thanks