+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New Spousal Sponsorship Rules [Clarification]

wanabecanadian

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
According to the recent news release:

Canadian immigration minister, Jason Kenney announced last week that the spousal sponsorship rules are being tightened by their department.

The changes are intended to stop people from going ahead with marriages of convenience to allow them to gain Canadian visas. Alex, a consultant at Global Visas clarifies what these changes signify, explaining, “From now, any spouse or partner that is sponsored under the scheme, after marrying a Canadian, has to wait a full five years before they themselves can become sponsors of a non-Canadian spouse.”

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/622795#ixzz1pG5hgs7C
Can someone please clarify how these changes affect spousal sponsorship for PR holders who havent attained a 5 year period as PR holders? I got my PR just a few months ago and my wife is American. I am planning to sponsor her in the near future.. How will this new change affect me?

Please advice,

Thanks

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As per the blog on Canada Visa.com site:

"any new immigrant to Canada sponsored by a spouse or partner must have permanent residency (PR) status for 5 years before they themselves can sponsor a new spouse or partner from abroad."

If it is the fact you don't have any problem to sponsor the spouse.

Read:

http://www.canadavisa.com/news/entry/new-sponsorship-restriction-aims-to-reduce-marriage-fraud.html

erinblaak

Sep 21, 2011
Southeastern Asia
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-10-2012
AOR Received.
13-11-2012
File Transfer...
07-12-2012
Med's Done....
09-30-2012
Wilson is completely right.

basically its saying you can't marry a Canadian just to get a PR, divorce, marry again and try to bring the new spouse into Canada. You must wait 5 years to prove some sort of legitimacy.

However if you were sponsored by someone else that is not your spouse, and have received your PR card, you can go ahead and sponsor your wife in the near future. You will need to go through the same process, but do not need to wait 5 years.

goodluck :)

anders9962

Apr 4, 2012
Hi, I was just wanting to clarify.

My partner became a permanent resident in 2009, sponsored through his x.

Now we want to apply for family class residence for me. Does this new rule apply to ALL applications/ applicants?

Or is my partner free to sponsor me -as he had permanent resident status before 2nd march 2012?

Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

anders9962 said:
Hi, I was just wanting to clarify.

My partner became a permanent resident in 2009, sponsored through his x.

Now we want to apply for family class residence for me. Does this new rule apply to ALL applications/ applicants?

Or is my partner free to sponsor me -as he had permanent resident status before 2nd march 2012?

Thank you!

1. As the sponsorship hasn't been submitted, your partner can't submit a sponsorship for 5 years from the date of his/her "landing" http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob386.asp
2. So it looks like it will be a couple of years before your partner can sponsor.

anders9962

Apr 4, 2012
Ok thanks for the quick reply,

New question for you :D

Normally as a sponsor you have to wait 3 years ( until your not legally responsible anymore) before you can start sponsoring someone else. Does that apply if you start sponsoring your child then, want to sponsor your spouse? The new rule means I can't sponsor my wife for another two years, but I'd like to get my child's residency going. Should I wait and do both together?!

Cheers

Anders