+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New requirements for proof of common law?

Ski_is_fun

May 5, 2016
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
Med's Request
16-11-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
I'm about worried about this. Previously we could send cell phone bills with same address even if not a joint bill. The old standard was way less strict. If they mean to be as strict as written here I just lost the last 12 months of my life.

Are you and your common-law partner currently living together? No Yes
If you answered yes, provide documentation from two (2) of the following three (3) sets of options as evidence of current cohabitation (for a
minimum of 12 months):

• Joint ownership of residential property or joint residential leases or joint rental agreements listing both the sponsor and the principal
applicant; (Minimum 1 document).
• Proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone); (Minimum 1 document).
• Important documents for you and your sponsor showing the same address, such as copies of Government issued identification
documents: driver's licenses, insurance policies, etc. (Minimum 1 document).

michicanuck

Dec 12, 2016
Michigan, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-30-16
AOR Received.
12-9-16
Ski_is_fun said:
I'm about worried about this. Previously we could send cell phone bills with same address even if not a joint bill. The old standard was way less strict. If they mean to be as strict as written here I just lost the last 12 months of my life.

Are you and your common-law partner currently living together? No Yes
If you answered yes, provide documentation from two (2) of the following three (3) sets of options as evidence of current cohabitation (for a
minimum of 12 months):

• Joint ownership of residential property or joint residential leases or joint rental agreements listing both the sponsor and the principal
applicant; (Minimum 1 document).
• Proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone); (Minimum 1 document).
• Important documents for you and your sponsor showing the same address, such as copies of Government issued identification
documents: driver's licenses, insurance policies, etc. (Minimum 1 document).
Well, if you live together, it shouldn't be very hard to get 2 of those things together as evidence.

Ski_is_fun

May 5, 2016
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
Med's Request
16-11-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
michicanuck said:
Well, if you live together, it shouldn't be very hard to get 2 of those things together as evidence.
They are not hard to get going forward, but they were not required before, so we don't have them for the past 12 months.

Just for example, we have 2 separate cell phones with the same address. That was good before. Now they want a shared account?
Is pay stub with address or T4 considered "Important documents"?
We don't have a shared electricity account. She has a proxy on my account.

michicanuck

Dec 12, 2016
Michigan, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-30-16
AOR Received.
12-9-16
Ski_is_fun said:
They are not hard to get going forward, but they were not required before, so we don't have them for the past 12 months.

Just for example, we have 2 separate cell phones with the same address. That was good before. Now they want a shared account?
Is pay stub with address or T4 considered "Important documents"?
We don't have a shared electricity account. She has a proxy on my account.
I'm not sure what their exact standards are, but I bet those things would be sufficient. Two separate phone bills with the same address still proves that you live together. Maybe just making a phone call to CIC and seeing what's acceptable will calm your nerves some. I just gotta believe that you'll have enough acceptable evidence when it comes down to it.