+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need urgent guidance on TB for student visa

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, how did you overcome this situation? I am in the same situation. I went for upfront in December 2022 and was diagnosed for TB but made to do a 6-month treatment. I am currently in the 5th month and about to finish by July 11th. The nurse told me i can apply for my visa after treatment, but the entire result won’t be out until i’ve completed the last sputum test, which is immediately after my treatment completion, ie. sometime in September.

I don’t want to wait till then to apply because of how long the processing times for visas can be. I have already deferred my admission from September to January and wouldn‘t want to have to do it again.

Please what did you do, how did yours go, and what advice would you have for me please? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.
I would at least wait until your treatment is complete before applying. Applying earlier will just create problems. When applying you will have to complete another chest x-ray and sputum culture. It is a good plan to defer to January since the timeframe would be too tight to complete the mefical before September.

YoungP

Dec 8, 2023
Hello, how did you overcome this situation? I am in the same situation. I went for upfront in December 2022 and was diagnosed for TB but made to do a 6-month treatment. I am currently in the 5th month and about to finish by July 11th. The nurse told me i can apply for my visa after treatment, but the entire result won’t be out until i’ve completed the last sputum test, which is immediately after my treatment completion, ie. sometime in September.

I don’t want to wait till then to apply because of how long the processing times for visas can be. I have already deferred my admission from September to January and wouldn‘t want to have to do it again.

Please what did you do, how did yours go, and what advice would you have for me please? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.
[/QUQUOTE howfar bro, how did it later go am exactly in a similar situation now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How did it later go am in a similar situation
You can only start the TB testing again after you’ve completed he treatment. Sadly going through TB testing again will take a few months. Would focus on likely starting school in Fall 2024. If you have finished your treatment already you may be able to start in Spring 2024. Not all programs are available to start in Spring/summer 2024 which is typically May 2024.

YoungP

Dec 8, 2023
You can only start the TB testing again after you’ve completed he treatment. Sadly going through TB testing again will take a few months. Would focus on likely starting school in Fall 2024. If you have finished your treatment already you may be able to start in Spring 2024. Not all programs are available to start in Spring/summer 2024 which is typically May 2024.
Thanks but My situation is totally different from your explanation, i did upfront medical april and i was diagnosed of tb and told to come bk for treatment, but nevertheless i still went ahead to do my visa application cos i knew it could take time, so i did my visa application in May, i hv not gotten any feedback from canada immigration till today, i have completed tuberculosis treatment and just yesterday i received a mail from IOM that my treatment is complete and has been sent to IRCC, am just restless now. What do you think, i feel that if my application was negative i would hv been rejected since i applied in May

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks but My situation is totally different from your explanation, i did upfront medical april and i was diagnosed of tb and told to come bk for treatment, but nevertheless i still went ahead to do my visa application cos i knew it could take time, so i did my visa application in May, i hv not gotten any feedback from canada immigration till today, i have completed tuberculosis treatment and just yesterday i received a mail from IOM that my treatment is complete and has been sent to IRCC, am just restless now. What do you think, i feel that if my application was negative i would hv been rejected since i applied in May
If IOM is involved then are you applying to be approved as a refugee? Is this a private sponsorship? If you are applying to come to Canada as a refugee then that is different than applying for work or study permit, to visit Canada or to immigrate via any other program but refugee. Medicals are often at the very end of the refugee process and medical considerations are different for refugees versus other people wanting to come to Canada. You still typically have to seek treatment for communicable diseases before coming to Canada. Even though you are applying as a refugee there is a good chance that you will need to repeat the chest x-ray and sputum culture followed by another chest x-ray to confirm that the treatment was successful. Do you know if all your background checks have been completed and your case and your sponsors have been approved for group of 5 (assume that you are being privately sponsored)? If so then you should be approved once you have finished another round of TB testing to prove that treatment has been successful.

YoungP

Dec 8, 2023
If IOM is involved then are you applying to be approved as a refugee? Is this a private sponsorship? If you are applying to come to Canada as a refugee then that is different than applying for work or study permit, to visit Canada or to immigrate via any other program but refugee. Medicals are often at the very end of the refugee process and medical considerations are different for refugees versus other people wanting to come to Canada. You still typically have to seek treatment for communicable diseases before coming to Canada. Even though you are applying as a refugee there is a good chance that you will need to repeat the chest x-ray and sputum culture followed by another chest x-ray to confirm that the treatment was successful. Do you know if all your background checks have been completed and your case and your sponsors have been approved for group of 5 (assume that you are being privately sponsored)? If so then you should be approved once you have finished another round of TB testing to prove that treatment has been successful.
brother, i appreciate your response but you haven't understood my situation, please listen, it's a student visa am applying for, i have completed my treatment and all the necessary test,and i hv been notified that my medical is completed and submitted to ircc two days ago, i also did upfront medicals and i have done my visa application and biometric more than six months ago

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
brother, i appreciate your response but you haven't understood my situation, please listen, it's a student visa am applying for, i have completed my treatment and all the necessary test,and i hv been notified that my medical is completed and submitted to ircc two days ago, i also did upfront medicals and i have done my visa application and biometric more than six months ago
Why is IOM involved then? You will still have to repeat TB testing which will take a few months.