+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to stay in Canada 2 weeks longer than my work permit allows!!!!!

Sam_scarlett

Feb 1, 2010
Hi - What is the best way to stay here for 2 weeks mreo than my working holiday permit allows me too?? as my family is coming to visit form New Zealand. after extra 2 weeks i am moving home!!! but dont want a black mark with the CIC.

option 1 - travel to US for the weekend and come back at a visitor? (really dont ant to deal with US Border agency!!)

option 2 - apply for something official with CIC? (for 2 weeks??? seems a alot of mucking round and could get denied)

option 3 - overstay? (my gf is canadian and i dont want to burn bridges!)

any help? hints? personal experience would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Cheers

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Sam_scarlett said:
Hi - What is the best way to stay here for 2 weeks mreo than my working holiday permit allows me too?? as my family is coming to visit form New Zealand. after extra 2 weeks i am moving home!!! but dont want a black mark with the CIC.

option 1 - travel to US for the weekend and come back at a visitor? (really dont ant to deal with US Border agency!!)

option 2 - apply for something official with CIC? (for 2 weeks??? seems a alot of mucking round and could get denied)

option 3 - overstay? (my gf is canadian and i dont want to burn bridges!)

any help? hints? personal experience would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Cheers
Apply for a change of status of your TRV. You're on implied status until you hear from CPC.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Sam_scarlett said:
Can I still apply for a trv as being a New Zealand citizen, due to NZ is a visa waived country?

Thanks
Yes, you are now on a work permit and you are just changing your status from that of a worker to that of a visitor. Chances are you would be back in NZ by the time CPC sends a response but at least you did the right thing by requesting to stay longer as a visitor. Another way is as you said leave for the US on a week end and then re-enter Canada but you also are not 100% sure that you will be allowed back in considering you just finished your WHV and CIC might think you just "flagpoled".

alexkiwi

May 14, 2010
Hi Sam

Im in the same situation, my mum is coming in June and my visa runs out end of may. I want to extend and travel around canada for a few months.. What did you end up doing?
Cheers
Alex

Sam_scarlett

Feb 1, 2010
alexkiwi said:
Hi Sam

Im in the same situation, my mum is coming in June and my visa runs out end of may. I want to extend and travel around canada for a few months.. What did you end up doing?
Cheers
Alex
Hey Alex,

after a lot of thinking about it, what i did was 1) I made sure I had in excess of $4000 of in my Canadian bank account. (the more the better). and 2) was that I had onward flights out of Canada.
3) I also had a job contract that i have signed for a Job back in Auckland.

A day before my working holiday visa ran out (a couple of days ago) I got on the ferry from Victoria BC to Port Angeles WA, return all in 1 day.
the US border lady asked if i was going over and coming striaght back and she said that was fine. (presenting papers to canadian immigration (I have a US vistor visa in my passport. )) and on the way back i went into an interview room and explained what i was doing and that i had finshed work and he asked me about money and flights, he did ask to see anything tho.

The Victoria US and Canada customs seem way more chilled out than anywhere else.

He stamped me for a full 6 months and sent me on my way.

I did a fist pump and got the fu*k out of there.

anymore questions let me know.

rosellyalung

May 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LC1 application vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/08/2010
hello i have a question, i am under LICP and i amhaving my 24 months on august 1, and i will apply for a PR. and now after i file my PR , i am planning to go home to the philippines for a vacation, would it be possible? is there an effect in my PR processing? please enlighten me thanks~