+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to leave country no work permit

jenneki

Feb 15, 2011
Good morning everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dire situation and any advise you can provide me with will be highly appreciated.

I finished school at the end of 2009, a 2 year program, but I was only given a 2 year post graduate work permit (because my passport expires in 2011). My work permit was to expire in Feb 2011. As you must have deduced, my work permit has expired. Before it expired though, I sent in an application to extend the work permit. I don't know if I will be granted the new work permit because my passport expires in July. Unfortunately I cannot renew my passport in Canada, I have to go to the States to renew it.

My question: Will I be allowed back into Canada if I leave. I have an expired work permit, but I have proof that I have applied for a new work permit as well as proof that I have applied for PR status using CEC.

Thank you

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
jenneki said:
Unfortunately I cannot renew my passport in Canada, I have to go to the States to renew it.
If you are referring to renewing a US passport, not true. Residents of Canada can renew a US passport by mail.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html

robert_in_la

Feb 4, 2011
jenneki said:
Good morning everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dire situation and any advise you can provide me with will be highly appreciated.

I finished school at the end of 2009, a 2 year program, but I was only given a 2 year post graduate work permit (because my passport expires in 2011). My work permit was to expire in Feb 2011. As you must have deduced, my work permit has expired. Before it expired though, I sent in an application to extend the work permit. I don't know if I will be granted the new work permit because my passport expires in July. Unfortunately I cannot renew my passport in Canada, I have to go to the States to renew it.

My question: Will I be allowed back into Canada if I leave. I have an expired work permit, but I have proof that I have applied for a new work permit as well as proof that I have applied for PR status using CEC.

Thank you
Yes. I am a US citizen and you can go to the U.S. consulate and ask them to help you renew your passport. I wouldn't leave but I also wouldn't be accepting a job or working under the table as it will not be worth it.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
jenneki said:
Good morning everyone,

Thank you
Apart from the passport issue, I don't think we answered your question. First, your PR application is the least relevant.

If you have applied for a new work permit before your old one expired, you are currently on "implied status." If you leave Canada before you receive your new work permit, your "implied status" also expires. If you return to Canada, you will not be authorized to work *(a) until you receive your new work permit, or (b) you apply again for a work permit at the border (and pay another fee) - you would need to make sure you have all relevant paperwork (old work permit, LMO, job offer letter, etc).

If you leave without the work permit, and return and do not apply at the border, there is a small possibility that you would not be allowed to return as a visitor.

jenneki

Feb 15, 2011
Thank you all for your responses. jes_ON you were most helpful. I found a consulate within Canada to renew my passport and I've updated my profile with immigration now. My fingers are crossed. :)

jenneki

Feb 15, 2011
Hi guys! Good news! My work permit was approved! ;D ;D ;D

I found out through the automated calling system that the document was issued 3 days ago. The timing is perfect for me because I'm in the final stages of interviews for a job.

I'm wondering though, given the current Canada Post strike, how i will get my new work permit? I'm going to need it soon if i am offered the job.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Geez, what bad luck. 4 months for the work permit, only to have it stalled by the strike. I don't know what you can legally do until you receive the permit - give CIC a call...

karendeyan

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Fort McMurray Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
april 23, 2010
Doc's Request.
july 23, 2010
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
July 28, 2010
IELTS Request
not required
File Transfer...
October 13, 2010
Med's Request
July 17, 2011
Med's Done....
August 18, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
February 1, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
March 15, 2012
LANDED..........
Already in Alberta Canada but will exit to Montana US on March 30, 2012
hi. i got the same case here, i wonder if you are able to do something about your new work permit. Mine, was just issued last June 13 but I tried calling CIC for them to give options on how they can send me the work permit through a courier on my cost, but they said, they won't send it, and we just need to wait until the strike is over and canada post is already back on track, my problem is i'm going home for vacation on july 17, 2011 and i really really need that work permit to renew my work visa in the philippines. Im so desperate now and im begging for any body to help me here. thank you