+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to Flagpole to renew 6 month tourist while waiting for PR

Chatmonkey

May 14, 2017
I am from a visa-exempt country (Australia) and entered Canada as a tourist about 4ish months ago.

I applied for PR via the Outland method about 2-3 weeks ago and will probably have to flagpole so my status does not expire.

I would never lie to a border officer but I would just like to know the best way to go about this? I've been told not to mention my application as it would mean I am not a "tourist" but I have also been told the opposite.

Can anyone provide some extra clarity on this? I understand that nothing is guaranteed.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Have you ever consider applying for an extension from inside Canada? You would not need to flagpole at US border to do this. You can apply for an extension on account that you have a PR sponsorship in process. While it is not guaranteed that you will get an extension but it is an option you have. Plus you would have implied status until you get an response from CIC.

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Have you ever consider applying for an extension from inside Canada? You would not need to flagpole at US border to do this. You can apply for an extension on account that you have a PR sponsorship in process. While it is not guaranteed that you will get an extension but it is an option you have. Plus you would have implied status until you get an response from CIC.
This is your best option as it will become hard to prove strong ties to other countries. What will you say at the border ?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
You can say you want to visit your spouse while you wait for an answer (along with proof you won't be working illegally). Most common tip given to people in a situation like this though is, as above, to apply for an extension online, for $100, and implied visitor status until you get a yes/no (almost certain yes unless you don't provide any proof of funds/support, etc).

Sep 3, 2017
You can say you want to visit your spouse while you wait for an answer (along with proof you won't be working illegally). Most common tip given to people in a situation like this though is, as above, to apply for an extension online, for $100, and implied visitor status until you get a yes/no (almost certain yes unless you don't provide any proof of funds/support, etc).
Why not submit on paper and submit by registered mail? Use CIC's backlog to your advantage.

Chatmonkey

May 14, 2017
I didn't think i could apply for an extension if I don't have a visa in the first place. Due to being from a visa exempt country like australia i basically just walked in. No stamp on passport either.

Can I still apply for an "extension" to this? If so, how?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I didn't think i could apply for an extension if I don't have a visa in the first place. Due to being from a visa exempt country like australia i basically just walked in. No stamp on passport either.

You can definitely apply for an extension. And that's definitely the better option than flagpoling. Details here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
I am from a visa-exempt country (Australia) and entered Canada as a tourist about 4ish months ago.

I applied for PR via the Outland method about 2-3 weeks ago and will probably have to flagpole so my status does not expire.

I would never lie to a border officer but I would just like to know the best way to go about this? I've been told not to mention my application as it would mean I am not a "tourist" but I have also been told the opposite.

Can anyone provide some extra clarity on this? I understand that nothing is guaranteed.
I strongly suggest don't do flagpole, if you want to go out Canada, do it for 3-4 weeks, then you could go back and could say you have a ticket in a couple of months

or
Extend your stay in Canada
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

If you want to extend your stay in Canada, you must apply to do so. Check your temporary resident status to make sure you apply before the expiry date. This will be on your study or work permit, the stamp in your passport or, if you do not have a stamp in your passport, 6 months from the day you entered Canada. You should apply 30 days before your status expires to:

• extend your visitor, student or work status,
  • change your permit type (for example, from a study permit to a work permit) or
  • change your permit condition(s) (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and you want to change jobs).
If you apply to extend your permit, and your visitor visa expires while you are waiting for a decision, you still have temporary resident (visitor) status. This is known as implied status.

Visitor extension ($100)

These applications can be submitted online or by paper.

115 days

Working on applications received on May 15, 2017.

Last update: September 8, 2017
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa

Apply a visitor extension
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

I applied on may 28th, still waiting for the decision.
I became permanent resident on monday sept 11th.

Reactions: bafonso

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I'm not sure anyone can prove they won't work illegally... All they can do is make a strong case they have strong ties to another country. Some officers are not sympathetic to waiting alongside your spouse, I wouldn't advise risking a border crossing.

Reactions: mpsqra
Sep 3, 2017

You definitely should have received a stamp in your passport.... even if you're from a visa exempt country.

Last edited:

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
You definitely should have received a stamp in your passport....
It's no big deal if you're visa exempt and you don't have a stamp. It just means you're allowed to stay for six months.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
It's no big deal if you're visa exempt and you don't have a stamp. It just means you're allowed to stay for six months.
That's the case when there's no date written below it, but I've never heard of a non-American not getting stamped before. Normally only reason for someone like an Australian or European to not get stamped is if they're re-entering after taking a break from a work/study permit (so the original stamp is still in force, rendering a new one unnecessary).

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Agreed, no stamp = 6 months visitor status. It happens often enough to any visa-exempt visitors.