+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Tips for arriving at Toronto Pearson (YYZ)

CarlosRdrz

Oct 1, 2018
Hello Everyone,

If anyone would be so kind to give me tips on getting through customs at Toronto Pearson Airport.

I will be arriving tomorrow afternoon with my Study Permit, and my Wife with her OWP and our son. Everything is in order, all the paperwork needed and up to date and the money as well, but you cannot avoid getting nervous before going there, this will be our first time to Canada and we really really really don't want to be sent back in the POE.

Also if anyone also have an average time that one spends with the immigration officer, because I still need to purchase my transportation to London, Ontario.

Thank you and Best of Luck to those who are in the same path as me.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello Everyone,

If anyone would be so kind to give me tips on getting through customs at Toronto Pearson Airport.

I will be arriving tomorrow afternoon with my Study Permit, and my Wife with her OWP and our son. Everything is in order, all the paperwork needed and up to date and the money as well, but you cannot avoid getting nervous before going there, this will be our first time to Canada and we really really really don't want to be sent back in the POE.

Also if anyone also have an average time that one spends with the immigration officer, because I still need to purchase my transportation to London, Ontario.

Thank you and Best of Luck to those who are in the same path as me.
Best to read this first:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival.html

Don’t be nervous, mate, just be calm and confident. Answer truthfully every questions by the CBSA officer.

I spent around 20mins starting from the primary inspection kiosk until I got my SP and SIN (there was a bit of a long line at the primary inspection kiosk). CBSA and airport personell were all very helpful and accomodating. After the primary inspection kiosk, the first CBSA officer just asked me if it was my first time in Canada and what I intend to do. After that, he directed me to the next room where the SP was being processed and printed. The CBSA officer who issued my SP asked the same question and we had a few chitchat. After which, he directed me to get my SIN at Service Canada station adjacent to his station. Fill up the SIN form and the good lady officer at Service Canada issued me my SIN and just reminded me that I am not yet allowed to work before the official first day of classes.

That’s basically it. I travelled with my family but they were on visit visas only to visit my mother-in-law at the hospital and would go back home just after the new year.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Its almost impossible to get sent back if all your docs are valid so dont worry about that.
Just declare everything correctly.