+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need proper guidance for internship visa

shar1406

Nov 2, 2009
Hi,

I have presented my case for applying work visa and I need genuine help. I have got through Waterloo university for doing an internship. However, my visa was turned down despite a letter from the university stating my role and how it would be helpful for the student community.

My employer is willing to apply for an LMO but the issue is she will not be able to establish that I would be the only person recruited for the internship and that there are no other people who can match to my level. I am going for the purpose of getting trained and learning for six months-as simple as that. I am not competing or deprieving any one of chances of getting through an internship.

The magazine will obviously not be able to show that. What am I supposed to do? They are willing to train and mentor me. I am not getting such an opportunity in India and my only purpose is to get there, learn and come back to India. I have no intentions of staying back.

What am I supposed to do? Please help me. I am in despair. Is there any other category how I can apply for a temp visa for my internship for six months.

Thanks
Sharada

Twix

Star Member
Mar 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shar1406 said:
Hi,

I have presented my case for applying work visa and I need genuine help. I have got through Waterloo university for doing an internship. However, my visa was turned down despite a letter from the university stating my role and how it would be helpful for the student community.

My employer is willing to apply for an LMO but the issue is she will not be able to establish that I would be the only person recruited for the internship and that there are no other people who can match to my level. I am going for the purpose of getting trained and learning for six months-as simple as that. I am not competing or deprieving any one of chances of getting through an internship.

The magazine will obviously not be able to show that. What am I supposed to do? They are willing to train and mentor me. I am not getting such an opportunity in India and my only purpose is to get there, learn and come back to India. I have no intentions of staying back.

What am I supposed to do? Please help me. I am in despair. Is there any other category how I can apply for a temp visa for my internship for six months.

Thanks
Sharada
First, let me clarify some things.
1.You said that you have been accepted by a university in Waterloo. Is this a program under the university? Are you going to be a full-time student? If yes, then you need to apply for a student permit and a TRV.
2. If it's more of an internship program where you are going to be paid while on training, then you need a work permit and a TRV. Your employer should show efforts in hiring Canadians before they could be issued an LMO. If you don't have an LMO, then you can't get a work permit.

shar1406

Nov 2, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. But, it is not completely answering my question. It is not a paid internship, I am going on an unpaid internship/volunteer. Previously, the univeristy had a student from Nigeria who did this internship with them. And they never had trouble of getting visa.

Here, I am spending money to support myself and I have established that with my financial support documents. The university is willing to train and mentor me as a magazine intern. It is a standard procedure to recruit interns there. Why would the univ give a letter that they havent found anyone, hence I am being taken?

I was initially told by VFS that interns come under LMO exempt category. And then they said, visa rejected due to lack of LMO. It is an internship, so I cant apply for student visa, at the same time, its not that I am a salaried employee there to get a working visa. I cannot expect the university to give supporting documents for my LMO. The resources there being understaffed, no one for one has time and then of course, they employ interns from everywhere.

Is there any possibility of me getting a visa with an LMO exempt? I have seven years of experience with leading media houses in India and have also represented Indian journalists outside India to know and understand how other countries function. I have educational background and work ex to prove that the university and the student community will largely be benefitted with my internship.

The solutions given almost seem impractical that I would get there. This is really bad.

AYEBA

Aug 30, 2009
Hi,

Clearly what you need is a TRV (visitor's visa) that will allow you stay and do your internship for 5 months and 29 days (sic).
Not a student permit because it is not an academic course of study and not a work permit because you are not going to be working (or being paid).
Initial refusal may be overturned by a different visa officer if your application is strong.

Best wishes.