+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need help with visa?

kieran_uk

May 31, 2014
hi so i have recently found out that because my partner will have a contract with an agency for a nursing position in canada that i can come with her in a spouse visa or something a long those lines. We are from england and i was wondering if i can get that type of visa and her contract is for example a 2 year contract will i be able to stay and live/work in canada for that duration also? secondly things like Cell phone plans, car lease, Canadian bank accounts, will i be able to take those out whilst i stay in canada? I'm very confused, i realise you need a canadian ID number or something to take those things, but will i be issued with one even if i am only staying temporarily...all help will be much appreciated thank you.

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
I'm going to assume that your partner is a 'skilled worker' as she's coming over as a nurse, as she's coming over as a skilled worker it means that you can qualify for a spousal open work permit.

Are you married? Or in a common law relationship (lived together for a year)?

kieran_uk

May 31, 2014
TheAwesomeMatt said:
I'm going to assume that your partner is a 'skilled worker' as she's coming over as a nurse, as she's coming over as a skilled worker it means that you can qualify for a spousal open work permit.

Are you married? Or in a common law relationship (lived together for a year)?
we are common law, but because of the temp thing or can it be permanent if we wish it too be due to my fiancé occupation?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
If your spouse is a temp worker, you both have the same status in Canada - i.e. temp residents allowed to work. You certainly can apply for any PR program but that comes with its own requirements and processing times e.g. CEC is a faster program used by many who have already worked in Canada in a skilled job, but that requires one year of full time experience completed to apply.

Your SOWP will be of the same length as that of your partner. A temp worker is eligible for some of the necessary things, but not others.

E.g. the Canadian ID number that you mentioned is called SIN (social insurance number). You can get that a day after landing. But you will be issued a number that starts with 9. This is an indication that you are not a PR and a temp resident instead. You can open a bank account using this (or even without this by just showing your passport, work permit and job etc.).

But you would have a really hard time getting any credit item such as a credit card or a car lease. For credit card, banks would ask for secured credit card (i.e. deposit the full balance of your limit as security) and no car lease would be issued beyond the expiry of your work permit. Since car leases are usually longer than two years, you would face a much higher monthly payment and interest rate. However, you can still get health card (valid only for your wp period) as well as driving license.

To cut it short, you can maintain a life but don't expect to receive much credit unless either you become a PR, or you have lived and made a good credit history for at least two years (on a secured credit card). The only way to get around this for e.g. for car lease is to find a co signer, some one who is a PR with good history and vouches for you i.e. if you default or leave the country, that person would have to fulfill your obligations instead.

Hope that helps.