+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with some information regarding illegal citizenship

itprosam

Sep 24, 2012
Hi, I am not sure if it constitutes as illegal but here goes:

I know a person who is here on Student Visa and he mentioned that he already applied for immigration and now wants to marry someone with Canadian Citizenship so he can get the citizenship as well.
I personally know the girls family and they are confused, as they want her daughter to get a good husband but not if the guy is only interested in citizenship.
His family hid the fact that he applied for immigration. According to the guy's mom it's been almost a year since he applied.
His mom sounded suspicious when she spoke about the immigration and when the girl's dad requested more information (file number etc.) she said she will let him know. It's been weeks since any reply

Here are the issues:
His visa is expiring in March 2017, his mother is pressuring (girls parents) to get him married before 2016 ends. Even though Girls parents already informed their family that they will not marry if they are only looking to get citizenship.
I want to know if there is something fishy regarding this process as they have not given any more info regarding his process and immigration file no when requested.

I need to know more about this process. He studied and now working and applied for immigration (their words yet not sure, if it actually is possible) and wants to get married.
Is there a legal way to do all this or what the guys says is false and just wants to get married so he can stay in the country?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He won't get citizenship directly by marrying a citizen. She would have to sponsor him for permanent residency first. Once he is a PR, he will have to live in Canada for several years before he can qualify for citizenship.

Yes - it's possible he may have applied for PR on his own while still a student. It's certainly possible to qualify and apply.

Yes - there's a legal way to do all of the above. Information is on the CIC web site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

itprosam

Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for such prompt reply. It did help.
I also want to know this:

Is the visa extended if he already applied for PR (immigration) or not? Same if he gets married?

I might have few more questions, unable to recall right now.

I did looked at the website you suggested but it was very general information per say.
I just wanted a quick yet detailed information as you have provided.

Is it possible to cite exact link for the clarifications you replied/will reply.??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's really impossible to answer your questions much further without more detailed information on your part.

Yes - it's possible he might be able to extend his visa in Canada (specifically apply for a work permit) if he has applied to immigrate. If he gets married and she sponsors him, it also may be possible for him to remain in Canada (specifically if she sponsors him using the inland immigration program).

I can't provide information that is any more specific or cite specific links without knowing which immigration program he says he has applied under. Canada has many immigration programs. That's why I provided you with the link to all of Canada's immigration programs.

The information you have provided is very general - so you're going to get general answers.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
itprosam said:
Thanks for such prompt reply. It did help.
I also want to know this:

Is the visa extended if he already applied for PR (immigration) or not? Same if he gets married?

I might have few more questions, unable to recall right now.

I did looked at the website you suggested but it was very general information per say.
I just wanted a quick yet detailed information as you have provided.

Is it possible to cite exact link for the clarifications you replied/will reply.??
To be clear below are my personal comments/view just based on assumptions from the original post and should be read as such

A couple getting married just so one half can stay in the country never usually a good idea unless they are starting from a rock solid relationship and are doing so without outside pressure, in this example from the 'to be' mother in law. Add to that marriages of convenience if this turns out to be one of those have the possibility of being found out through the spousal sponsorship process.

The reluctance to have shared any information on what his current immigration stream is should be a red flag for a start plus it seems , although an assumption, some ignorance in that even getting PR sponsorship and later on citizenship is a plan that will take years to achieve.

Although both parties are adults so it is their decision ultimately to make maybe the girls parents need to call the 'to be' mother in laws and son's bluff to propose a wedding post March 2017 and then sponsor PR after that date see what the reaction is.

In any case if the person is on a study visa why can they not apply for a PGWP post grad visa that can allow them to stay for 1-3 years depending on the length of the study course. Another question for the 'to be ' mother in law to negate the need for an urgent marriage.