+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with PGWP!!!

dimon9x

Sep 3, 2017
Im currently studying in George Brown College, Hotel Management program(Diploma), the length is 4 semesters,16 months. I started from May 2017 and I have just finished my 1st semester(in Aug 25th) but I decided to change the program and I want to drop the current program and apply to another college (Seneca-Information Technology for 6 semesters) then start study from Jan 2018. Basically, now (from Sep-Dec2017) Im not a full time student because I will start only in Jan 2018, so will I be eligible to get a PGWP after studying in this case?
Here is the rules in cic.gc.ca (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp) and I dont really understand what exactly it means. Please Help!

"You aren’t eligible to apply for a PGWP if you:
  • studied in a program that was less than eight months long
  • studied for more than eight months but not continuously (for example, you took a semester off)"

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Answering this just from a PGWP view and others can correct me but first you cannot work between now and the start of your new course given of course you are no longer in education of any sort so should take account of this in your plans.

Second you need to ensure you have taken any steps necessary to maintain your status in Canada in this gap given always a chance that in dropping the first course the college may notify CIC of your change in status for non attendance.

Third no reason why you should not qualify for a PGWP once you complete the new course assuming of course where necessary you will plan to extend your study permit to cover the new course and you meet the PGWP requirements.

Your highlight in red would have applied if in taking the first course you took Sept-Dec off from the first course and resumed in January, so an unscheduled break.

Do not forget to notify CIC of the change to stay within the rules given not doing so could affect your status as well as any future applications. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=487&top=15

dimon9x

Sep 3, 2017
Answering this just from a PGWP view and others can correct me but first you cannot work between now and the start of your new course given of course you are no longer in education of any sort so should take account of this in your plans.

Second you need to ensure you have taken any steps necessary to maintain your status in Canada in this gap given always a chance that in dropping the first course the college may notify CIC of your change in status for non attendance.

Third no reason why you should not qualify for a PGWP once you complete the new course assuming of course where necessary you will plan to extend your study permit to cover the new course and you meet the PGWP requirements.

Your highlight in red would have applied if in taking the first course you took Sept-Dec off from the first course and resumed in January, so an unscheduled break.

Do not forget to notify CIC of the change to stay within the rules given not doing so could affect your status as well as any future applications. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=487&top=15
Thanks for helping!
Why in this period while Im not studying I cannot work in Canada?

What do I have to do to maintain my status in Canada?

Can I take a travel back to my country in this period and come back ?

And is it 100% true? It means that I will not eligible to get PGWP only if I take a semester off in the same course? "Third no reason why you should not qualify for a PGWP once you complete the new course assuming of course where necessary you will plan to extend your study permit to cover the new course and you meet the PGWP requirements."

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The rules are clear if you are not in full time education which you will not be Sept through December you cannot work. This is especially true given you are abandoning your first course so not even on a break scheduled or not.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will also be reported after you have not attended school for 90 days so will need a new study permit. And no you can't work as previous poster said. Ability to work is dependent on you being in full-time studies.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long can you stay in Canada with a study permit?

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. This extra time lets you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

• If you can’t finish your courses before the date on your permit, you must apply to extend your stay as a student.
  • If you finish your studies early, your permit will stop being valid 90 days after you complete your studies (no matter what day is printed on the study permit).

Maddygio96

Apr 20, 2018
Toronto
Hi Everyone,
I’m Gio, & I’m writing you all in order to get some advices about my current situation.
I’ve decided to post here because I’m having several doubts about the PGWP eligibility criteria stressed by “dimon9x” where it says: studied for more than 8 months but not continuously (you took a semester off).
I’ve started my first semester at Humber College (Media Communications - Diploma Program - 2 years) last September. After having had several troubles with my academic standing (EVEN DUE TO THE ONTARIO COLLEGE STRIKE!!!) I’ve decided to withdraw from the Winter 2018, my second semester, which I should have been enrolled starting from February 2018 to April 2018.
Actually, I’m intended to hopefully start a new program at the same school (Advertising and Graphic Design) after having accepted my offer for this Fall starting from this September. I’m extremely concerned about the possibility to get a PGWP once started a new program this Fall and after having extended my study permit within Canada. In addition, I’d like to if I’ve made a mistake flying back to my country after having withdrawn from the first program cause I’m so worried about a potential DLI report which could deny my current study permit and student status which it’s still valid. I’d like to be back to Toronto with my current study permit cause I’m feeling so much frustrated to wast my time in my home country after having lived so much pain in the last few months. I REALLY HOPE TO GET SOME REALLY IMPORTANT SUGGESTIONS & ADVICES ABOUT WHAT SHOULD I DO & IF I SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT MY CURRENT STATUS.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP :) :) :)
KIND REGARDS
GIO

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I’m Gio, & I’m writing you all in order to get some advices about my current situation.
I’ve decided to post here because I’m having several doubts about the PGWP eligibility criteria stressed by “dimon9x” where it says: studied for more than 8 months but not continuously (you took a semester off).
I’ve started my first semester at Humber College (Media Communications - Diploma Program - 2 years) last September. After having had several troubles with my academic standing (EVEN DUE TO THE ONTARIO COLLEGE STRIKE!!!) I’ve decided to withdraw from the Winter 2018, my second semester, which I should have been enrolled starting from February 2018 to April 2018.
Actually, I’m intended to hopefully start a new program at the same school (Advertising and Graphic Design) after having accepted my offer for this Fall starting from this September. I’m extremely concerned about the possibility to get a PGWP once started a new program this Fall and after having extended my study permit within Canada. In addition, I’d like to if I’ve made a mistake flying back to my country after having withdrawn from the first program cause I’m so worried about a potential DLI report which could deny my current study permit and student status which it’s still valid. I’d like to be back to Toronto with my current study permit cause I’m feeling so much frustrated to wast my time in my home country after having lived so much pain in the last few months. I REALLY HOPE TO GET SOME REALLY IMPORTANT SUGGESTIONS & ADVICES ABOUT WHAT SHOULD I DO & IF I SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT MY CURRENT STATUS.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP :) :) :)
KIND REGARDS
GIO
Please take off the caps. I would explain that you left because of the strike. That gives you an excuse. It is very important that you do well and not take any semesters off that aren't scheduled breaks. If yoy complete your second program I think you should be fine. Just be sure to go through all the information about the strike, the condensed semester, etc

Reactions: Maddygio96

Maddygio96

Apr 20, 2018
Toronto
Please take off the caps. I would explain that you left because of the strike. That gives you an excuse. It is very important that you do well and not take any semesters off that aren't scheduled breaks. If yoy complete your second program I think you should be fine. Just be sure to go through all the information about the strike, the condensed semester, etc
Thanks for having replied me...
I’m so stressed for my situation... Shortly, I should be OK if I’ll complete the second program without (4 semesters) without breaks, right? And for what happened with my first program, shouldn’t be counted in terms of future applications for my PGWP because I’ve completed my first semester, but I’ll not transfer any credits & I’ve dropped immediately without even started a class in winter 2018 semester. It’s definitely due to the Ontario college strike... I didn’t even get a refund when the College offered us the chance to withdraw on December 2017, but I’ve decided to continue until the end of the semester without even having an acceptable grade (Academic Standing - Level 1 Probiation).
In conclusion, would be OK to come back to Canada with my current study permit even in order to start my application for the extension within Canada? I know that I cannot do anything right now but I’d like to find a room and to get ready to start my new program...
Thanks so much again for your support
Kind Regards
Gio

tushir1995

Jul 21, 2018

Hi
I have attended tru in winter semester. And right now i am on summer break, working full time. I am thinking of changing university. My question is that is it possible, considering the fact that i have worked full time in summer break.
Will it create any problem in future? I saw a post thag said if we change university after scheduled break that will become unscheduled and working full time is questionable.

loo1201

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
01-05-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2021
Hi
I have attended tru in winter semester. And right now i am on summer break, working full time. I am thinking of changing university. My question is that is it possible, considering the fact that i have worked full time in summer break.
Will it create any problem in future? I saw a post thag said if we change university after scheduled break that will become unscheduled and working full time is questionable.
Correct me if im wrong but you can work full time while on a valid study permit during scheduled breaks (i.e summer break) but you have to be enrolled in a program that is part of one of the designated learning institutions. So if you stopped your program before the summer break then no, youre not allowed to work full time.

Someone might want to confirm that though.

tushir1995

Jul 21, 2018
Correct me if im wrong but you can work full time while on a valid study permit during scheduled breaks (i.e summer break) but you have to be enrolled in a program that is part of one of the designated learning institutions. So if you stopped your program before the summer break then no, youre not allowed to work full time.

Someone might want to confirm that though.
Yes i have valid study permit i started in jan 2018 with full time study, got grades. Then took summer break and working full time. I have applied to kpu in jan 2018. Got accepted for sept 2018. Planning to start.

loo1201

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Etobicoke
App. Filed.......
01-05-2020
AOR Received.
12-05-2020
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2021
Yes i have valid study permit i started in jan 2018 with full time study, got grades. Then took summer break and working full time. I have applied to kpu in jan 2018. Got accepted for sept 2018. Planning to start.
If you completed your program before the summer break and haven't applied for a work permit (i.e PGWP) then you're not allowed to work over 20h/week.
Once again, don't quote me on this but im pretty sure that how it goes. You can always check the cic website or give them a call.