+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help with OCI Application: latest guideline on Birth Certificate for Minors

ofeida

Feb 10, 2022
Hi all,

I searched through the forum about this but wasn't able to find a clear answer on the latest guideline. Please help if someone knows.

I am applying for OCI for 2 of my kids, minors. One is born in the USA (US Passport) and one here in Canada (Canada Passport). I and Wife are still Indian citizens with Indian passport.
While uploading the documents on the OCI services website, in the section for relationship proof, it says "Foreign issued birth certificate is to be get apostle/authenticated.". I searched online for the requirements to have it authenticated but am seeing mixed responses. Some saying it is not required since we are Indian nationals, some saying Long form Birth certificate is enough etc.

Can someone please shine light upon this please ? In both cases, for USA born minor (US Passport holder) and Canada born minor (Canada passport and Long form birth certificate available).

Here are my questions:

1. Is apostiliing or any other authentication required while uploading the birth certificate scan (Canada and USA) ?
2. If yes, what is the proper or easier way to get it done (Canada and USA) ?

Thanks a lot !