+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help! Tricky Situation

Mike Douglas

Mar 3, 2020
Hello all
I am a citizen of India and I have a valid visitor visa which was issued to me initially in 2013 and I re-applied the same in 2022 with a successful outcome. During all these years I had no issues entering and leaving Canada.
I applied for permanent residence under the express entry stream through an LMIA in 2021-22 and I recently got an invitation to apply while I was living in India. I made a visit to Canada after I got the invitation so that I can complete the process and on the border I was asked several questions regarding my entry to Canada and my intentions.
To my surprise, I was issued a visitor record which is set to expire in January 2023. The officer advised me to complete the paperwork and head back to my home country – as he concluded that I was intending to work in Canada since my PR was in process and I was also going to apply for a work permit.
He also added that Indians are not privileged to go to the border and get a work permit, so he advised me to apply online and once I have my permit I can enter Canada at that point of time.
My lawyer is aware of the whole situation and advised me to obtain a work permit at the border.
I am confused at the moment because I see there are multiple options in front of me but I’m not sure which one would work in my best interest.
Any insights would be of great help.