+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need help ... travelling on an expired pr card

sanchil

Mar 21, 2014
hi all,

my pr card expired some time ago and i needed to apply for pr renewal with urgent processing. so, initially, when i applied, i had mentioned in bold on the envelope "Urgent — Proof of travel included". but that application got rejected because i had failed to include my travel receipt along with my airline ticket. second time round, i included my travel receipt but failed to mention in bold on the envelope "Urgent — Proof of travel included" ... :p

i'm now thinking of leaving with an expired pr card and applying for a travel document from India. is that a good idea? has any one of you had the experience of travelling out of Canada with an expired pr card and coming back with just the landing paper as proof?

how does it work? the web site suggests the residents apply for a travel document. how long does it take for the embassy abroad to issue a travel document?

i'm trying to weigh in my options ...

my travel dates are : 14th jan 2015 - 12 feb 2015

thanx all... :)

sanchil.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sanchil said:
has any one of you had the experience of travelling out of Canada with an expired pr card and coming back with just the landing paper as proof?

how does it work?
You can't travel on an expired PR card, period. The airline in India will not accept your landing paper, they only accept a valid PR card. So you would be denied boarding if you don't have a PR travel document or a valid PR card.

Your only 2 options are:
1. Arrange to get the PR travel document from India visa office during your stay
2. Ensure you will have your PR card by the time you need to fly home. So you could try to get urgent processing still, or if it arrives in the mail after you leave someone can courier it to you in India (of course this doesn't work if you need to pick up in person).