+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help - restoration of status while waiting for PR

RRfromfaraway

Star Member
Oct 7, 2015
My temporary resident status expired on Sept 17 2015 due to a refusal of my WP extension. Now, I have 90 days to apply to restore my status. I am leaving Canada for Christmas on Dec 16 2015, which is exactly 90 days from sept 17. I was going to come back at the end of December but since I cant work here I decided to not come back until my PR is (hopefully) approved. I am accepting my ITA and sending it in in mid November.

In my EE application, they ask for my country of residency, and I answered Canada. But technically I dont have a status in Canada so am I considered being here illegally? The letter says that if I choose not to apply for restoration I need to leave immediately.

I dont want to break any rules, but at the same time I dont want to pay 200$ for restoration since i am not staying here as a visitor after December.

Can anyone help? Not sure what to do....

AM198

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RRfromfaraway said:
My temporary resident status expired on Sept 17 2015 due to a refusal of my WP extension. Now, I have 90 days to apply to restore my status. I am leaving Canada for Christmas on Dec 16 2015, which is exactly 90 days from sept 17. I was going to come back at the end of December but since I cant work here I decided to not come back until my PR is (hopefully) approved. I am accepting my ITA and sending it in in mid November.

In my EE application, they ask for my country of residency, and I answered Canada. But technically I dont have a status in Canada so am I considered being here illegally? The letter says that if I choose not to apply for restoration I need to leave immediately.

I dont want to break any rules, but at the same time I dont want to pay 200$ for restoration since i am not staying here as a visitor after December.

Can anyone help? Not sure what to do....
I was told by CIC that if I receive an ITA and am not in status, I should not apply until I have restored my status. They also told me I should decline my ITA in that scenario and wait for another one after my status is restored. Your best bet would be to either contact the call centre or send a case specific inquiry explaining your situation. If you select express entry for the case specific inquiry from the website, you will likely get a reply within a couple of days.

RRfromfaraway

Star Member
Oct 7, 2015
AM198 said:
I was told by CIC that if I receive an ITA and am not in status, I should not apply until I have restored my status. They also told me I should decline my ITA in that scenario and wait for another one after my status is restored. Your best bet would be to either contact the call centre or send a case specific inquiry explaining your situation. If you select express entry for the case specific inquiry from the website, you will likely get a reply within a couple of days.
Just called them, the lady told me not to decline the ITA and apply for restoration. Because the restoration processing time is 100+ days, I need to mention in LoE that I applied to restore my status and attach proof (either that the fees were paid, or a copy of my application).

Okay, lets get the restoration application started... ::)

Iain.c

Jan 29, 2020
Just called them, the lady told me not to decline the ITA and apply for restoration. Because the restoration processing time is 100+ days, I need to mention in LoE that I applied to restore my status and attach proof (either that the fees were paid, or a copy of my application).

Okay, lets get the restoration application started... ::)
Were you successful in the end with this approach?
I'm in the same position