+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Help pls!

loida86

Star Member
Apr 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi to all,

I am working under the live-in caregiver program. I have a few questions that have been bothering me a lot.

I arrived here in Canada in March 2008. I didn't start working right away with my employer since their nanny has asked them to retain her service til August 2008. Out of good heart, they let her work til that date which left me jobless from the date of my arrival til first week of August. I stayed with my relative for 5 months and only started working on August after their nanny finished her contract. My contract with them is 2 years. My questions are

1. since i started working for them only in August and not in March, when is the start of my 2 years contract with them? is it March, the date of my arrival? or the date when i started working? Will this be an issue that i need to be worried when i apply for PR?

2. They are going to renew my contract for another year, do they have to apply for a new LMO?
3. I will be applying for my PR on October, do i still need to extend my work permit and work visa which will both expire on January,2011?
4. there have been changes under LCP, is this also applicable to the caregivers who arrived before this was implemented? specifically, the 24 months out of 4 years?

Thank you so much for your attention.. MAy God Bless us all

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
loida86 said:
Hi to all,

I am working under the live-in caregiver program. I have a few questions that have been bothering me a lot.

I arrived here in Canada in March 2008. I didn't start working right away with my employer since their nanny has asked them to retain her service til August 2008. Out of good heart, they let her work til that date which left me jobless from the date of my arrival til first week of August. I stayed with my relative for 5 months and only started working on August after their nanny finished her contract. My contract with them is 2 years. My questions are

1. since i started working for them only in August and not in March, when is the start of my 2 years contract with them? is it March, the date of my arrival? or the date when i started working? Will this be an issue that i need to be worried when i apply for PR?

2. They are going to renew my contract for another year, do they have to apply for a new LMO?
3. I will be applying for my PR on October, do i still need to extend my work permit and work visa which will both expire on January,2011?
4. there have been changes under LCP, is this also applicable to the caregivers who arrived before this was implemented? specifically, the 24 months out of 4 years?

Thank you so much for your attention.. MAy God Bless us all
1. August when you started working for them
2. No need for new LMO; new contract needed, letter from employer http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip04-eng.pdf item 8.2 p.9
3. Better extend http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip04-eng.pdf item 9.4 p. 12
4. I have read members posting they are now applying using option 2 ( worked 3900 hours). Note that the change was in April of this year, so option 1 (24 months in 4 years) should also be applicable to live in caregivers who are in the program before the implementation of the new rules.

loida86

Star Member
Apr 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks job-seeker! As for my question #1, since I started working for them August, and not March, there's a lapse of 5 months, is this something that I need to worry when I apply for my PR? WIll I be asked about this?

Thanks once again!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
loida86 said:
Thanks job-seeker! As for my question #1, since I started working for them August, and not March, there's a lapse of 5 months, is this something that I need to worry when I apply for my PR? WIll I be asked about this?

Thanks once again!
No. What they will look for is the 24 months of work as caregiver before your application of PR. And If CPC asked you about it, you can always explain that the employer still has a caregiver with them when you arrived so you did not start right away. What is important is that you still have status while waiting for your AIP/OWP.

loida86

Star Member
Apr 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much job-seeker! It is such a great relief.. God Bless!