+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help on Visitor Application Question for US Student Visiting Canada

alanme123

Jul 10, 2014
Hi Everybody,

I have a question about my girlfriend wanting to visit Canada with me. Her purpose of travel is really just she wants to see the nature of Canada, something that she never saw before in China and probably during her time in the US. She holds a Chinese Passport and is currently studying in the United States under an F-1 Visa. I know that she needs to apply for a Canadian visa, but I am confused what to answer for some questions.

Do you depend on someone for financial support?

Is this question directing her time while studying now, or when she is visiting Canada? Her tuition is paid by parents and it will be hard to get any verification from them as they are in China. She has proof of tuition payment IN the US. However, she does have money in her bank account and can provide a bank statement. But I am not sure if this should be answered NO or YES. If answer YES, the checklist requires proof of financial support resource, which we cannot get.

Also, she has a part time job on campus while studying. For this question:

Do you have a job in the country where you currently live?

Will she answer yes? The income would be very low.

Thank you very much in advance!

swords1010

Apr 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01 June 2014
Passport Req..
10 June 2014
Do you depend on someone for financial support?
-This question is pretty much asking you "What is your main source of financial support right now?". So if her dad is sending her a bunch of money every month, so that she can cover her living costs in the US, and then she works just for making some extra cash, then yes - she depends on someone for financial support. If this is the case you will have to focus on providing enough documents proving her supporter's financial stability.

As for the second question - just give a truthful answer. If she depends on someone to support herself, you will, once again, focus on providing enough evidence for the supporter's income. Her own income will be just a huge bonus to her application. But don't get me wrong - you'll be asked for just as much of evidence for her own income and financial stability, and you'd better give enough of that as well. This also serves as a proof of strong ties with the country of residence, which is the main thing you want to convince them in. ;D