+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need guidance - express entry

raregems

Aug 27, 2023
Hi all,

I wish I could get some guidance about my case. I'm totally confused and unsure what the right course of action is.
  • I applied for express entry during the pandemic (Jun 2021)
  • My BF applied for a student visa and was accepted in around 45 days.
  • Since my express entry application was taking time and about to expire, I withdrew my application (Apr 2022) and applied for a study permit instead. There was a short-term program that I was interested in and I had a scholarship as well.
  • However, my study permit was rejected. I thought I had missed something and applied again. The study permit was rejected a second time.
  • My BF traveled and I deleted my GC key account to take some time away from all of the mess I'd made.
Six months have passed now and I was advised that the best pathway for me is again express entry as I have an IELTS score of 8, a master’s degree from a reputable college and 6+ years foreign work experience. However, my CRS score is only 451, which I realize is really low.

My BF and I hate being apart and I've read so many narratives online where it takes people a year or 2 to get an invitation. With a huge lump in my throat, I have started filling another application for express entry, and plan on applying for a PNP right after. I'm afraid to apply for a visit visa as I think my history of rejections would affect that.

My question today, as I continue filling-out the express entry forms is about my NOC. I'm a journalist by education background and have been working in the field of communications since 6+ years. My job title is "Account Manager - Content" and I manage our clients' press office needs. I think my NOC is 11202 - but it isn't really listed in the 11202 list of jobs.

Another question is, which PNP would you say I have some chance in given my field?

Last edited:

raregems

Aug 27, 2023
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Right now it feels like I'm all over the place with my application.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Right now it feels like I'm all over the place with my application.
You core question is about your NOC code and if you qualify for any PNP program. Suggest you delete the first part of your post dealing with your study permit refusals since this is really irrelevant to your questions and people may not be reading far enough down your post to get to your actual questions. Delete everything from your original post except the last two paragraphs.

I don't know what the right NOC is for your occupation however you should make sure you are matching based on your job duties and not job title. Your score is low for Express Entry and it's unlikely you would be selected. Consider learning French to boost your score. How quickly you get an invite depends on your score. It's entirely possible to get ITA within days of entering the EE pool if you have the right score.

I'm not aware of any PNP program which would be a match to your occupation without having a job on Canada.

I would focus on increasing your EE score.

raregems

Aug 27, 2023
The first part before the questions is for giving people background information and my thought process so that they can advice better. Also there's no "edit" option anymore.

@scylla so you're suggesting that I learn an entirely new language from scratch, hours of study etc. to get perhaps +5 points? I don't know if I can do that - these days I forget even the most simple things. Are there any other ways people can improve their EE score?

If anyone knows the answer to my PNP/NOC question that would be great :)

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
The first part before the questions is for giving people background information and my thought process so that they can advice better. Also there's no "edit" option anymore.

@scylla so you're suggesting that I learn an entirely new language from scratch, hours of study etc. to get perhaps +5 points? I don't know if I can do that - these days I forget even the most simple things. Are there any other ways people can improve their EE score?

You have to understand how competitive EE really is. While french might appear to be a tough thing to do, 1-2 years from now it will be saturated too. Whatever comes at that time as an option would be 10x harder. These languages are easy to learn if you are willing to be serious about it. If you can't even do the basic leg work, immigration through EE will never workout for you. I was at CRS 453 (as far as I remember) after missing a chance at ITA by 1 points in 2020 (my CRS was 466, ITA was at 467). I worked through my way and got ITA in a 500+ CRS draw. Had I not worked on it, I wouldn't be here.

The choice is binary. Outcomes are not. You could give it everything and fail or succeed. But you'll have to decide whether this is something that's important to your future or not.

Reactions: scylla and Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Yes, I'm suggesting you learn an entirely new language. That's what many are doing and it gets you more than just the 5 points. For example, right now there are EE draws specifically targeting those who know French and people with lower scores are being selected.

In terms of what other programs may work for you, you need to dedicate significant time to researching all of the programs. If you don't want to do that, then you will need to pay for a lawyer or consultant to do this work for you. No one here is going to do that analysis for you. Immigrating is hard work. You need to be ready to put in the time if this is a priority for you.

Ultimately it comes down to how badly you want PR. You're competing against others in the pool to be selected and there are many who are pulling out all stops to increase their points (including learning French from scratch).

Entirely your call what you do. Again, depends on how badly you want PR.

Reactions: Naturgrl