+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need emergency help

Sam.ham

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
hi everyone,

I have to send my application today,I am confused about this 2 things :

1 ) proof of past cohabitation,if you are not currently living together but did at one point in the past
( what kind of proof will be acceptable please ? )

2 ) other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and /or family ( e.g. letters from friends/family,social media information showing a public relationship,etc. )
Email of congratulations from my friend it is acceptable and enough?

I am waiting your help please

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
1. You must demonstrate that you lived together for at least 12 consecutive months if your application is for common law. If you are not applying common law, then this won't matter as much. However, if your app is common law, then you need to provide documentation such as a lease with both names on it, shared utilities or other bills, documents showing that both of you had the same mailing address, etc. They are looking for documentation to prove that you both lived together at the same address.

2. If one email from a friend is the only proof you have that your relationship is recognized by your family and friends, then no, it's not enough. Social media posts together, letters from your immediate family stating that they are aware and approving of your relationship, those are the sorts of things that they want to see.

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
hi everyone,

I have to send my application today,I am confused about this 2 things :

1 ) proof of past cohabitation,if you are not currently living together but did at one point in the past
( what kind of proof will be acceptable please ? )

2 ) other proof that your relationship is recognized by your friends and /or family ( e.g. letters from friends/family,social media information showing a public relationship,etc. )
Email of congratulations from my friend it is acceptable and enough?

I am waiting your help please
I presume you want to apply as common-law?
cohabitation: lease agreement showing both of your name, utility bills (cell phone, internet, cable,...) showing the same address and ideally some recent as well as some from a year ago (to show you were living together a year ago).

friends and family: email can be acceptable, but I don't think it's enough. The best is to have pictures showing both of you and friends (and you provide the names of people that are each picture.

Sam.ham

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
1. You must demonstrate that you lived together for at least 12 consecutive months if your application is for common law. If you are not applying common law, then this won't matter as much. However, if your app is common law, then you need to provide documentation such as a lease with both names on it, shared utilities or other bills, documents showing that both of you had the same mailing address, etc. They are looking for documentation to prove that you both lived together at the same address.

2. If one email from a friend is the only proof you have that your relationship is recognized by your family and friends, then no, it's not enough. Social media posts together, letters from your immediate family stating that they are aware and approving of your relationship, those are the sorts of things that they want to see.

She is my spouse and we have daughter and we lived with each other more than 1 year

Sam.ham

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
cohabitation: lease agreement showing both of your name, utility bills (cell phone, internet, cable,...) showing the same address and ideally some recent as well as some from a year ago (to show you were living together a year ago).

friends and family: email can be acceptable, but I don't think it's enough. The best is to have pictures showing both of you and friends (and you provide the names of people that are each picture.
She is my spouse and we have daughter and we lived with each other more than 1 year ,, but I still don’t have any thing except photos and email from 3 friends

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
She is my spouse and we have daughter and we lived with each other more than 1 year ,, but I still don’t have any thing except photos and email from 3 friends
The burden of proof for married couple and especially those have a kid is much less than for common-law. So don't over stress with that.
please read that post from @profiler : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship-in-land-applications-2016-timeline-and-updates.389295/page-893#post-6105394
it contains a list of potential proofs you can join to your application.

Also, the 1 year is critical for Common-law, as by definition, they have to be living together for at least a year, so they must prove it. For married couple this is not critical.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Agree that just email isn't enough. We also sent friends' wedding invitations and printed custom Xmas cards with both of our names on. And also the relationship photos have us, our families and/or friends on different occasions.

Sam.ham

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
The burden of proof for married couple and especially those have a kid is much less than for common-law. So don't over stress with that.
please read that post from @profiler : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship-in-land-applications-2016-timeline-and-updates.389295/page-893#post-6105394
it contains a list of potential proofs you can join to your application.

Also, the 1 year is critical for Common-law, as by definition, they have to be living together for at least a year, so they must prove it. For married couple this is not critical.
Thanks a lot

Sam.ham

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
Agree that just email isn't enough. We also sent friends' wedding invitations and printed custom Xmas cards with both of our names on. And also the relationship photos have us, our families and/or friends on different occasions.
I have photos, but I wasn’t there in our wedding , and I told them that

Sam.ham

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
I have another question please

Have I send my applications in papers or by email ?

How can I link my application to track it ( I have GCkey account ) but I trained to link any thing to it I couldn’t

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
I have another question please

Have I send my applications in papers or by email ?

How can I link my application to track it ( I have GCkey account ) but I trained to link any thing to it I couldn’t
paper. 6-8 weeks later, you will receive an acknowledgment of receipt letter giving you your application number. With that, you will be able to link it with your GCkey

Sam.ham

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
you were not present at your wedding? or you did not mean that?

Proxy weeding are not recognized by IRCC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1081&top=14
As I told you we are a really husband and wife and we have registered our marriage officially and we lived with each other more than 1 year and we have a daughter but when the Margie calibration happened in our country of origins where I wasn’t able to be there because of the war that happened in my country of origine

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
As I told you we are a really husband and wife and we have registered our marriage officially and we lived with each other more than 1 year and we have a daughter but when the Margie calibration happened in our country of origins where I wasn’t able to be there because of the war that happened in my country of origine
But then in your case, I would believe that it is important to prove that you are living together for more than a year. IRCC will not recognize your marriage, but you are still eligible as common-law.