+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice to plan my future in Canada

alitze

Jul 5, 2014
Hello!
I got to Canada in August through IEC (Work & Holiday visa). I have a job where I work 30-40 hours per week (hourly, not on salary). I am looking at my options to extend my stay, and to hopefully get to the point where I can settle here. I can always try and talk to my boss about the LMO thing and go through with a general work permit, but I am also considering applying for PR, just because it would give me more freedom and I wouldn't be dependent on my employer. As far as I'm concerned, a PR status also gives me the right to study, right?
However, I need at least one year working experience in Canada to apply for the PR, which means I cannot apply for that until August, which is around the same time as my current visa expires.
My question is, what do I do while waiting for the PR? It says it could take around 13 months.
Do I have any other options?
All ideas are welcome!!! :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want to stay in Canada and work, then either your employer must obtain an approved LMIA so that you can get a closed work permit - or you'll need to apply for another IEC. Note that the IEC rules have changed significantly this year and it's no longer necessarily possible to qualify for a Working Holiday visa more than once.

You should also educate yourself on the new Express Entry immigration process. You can no longer apply through Canadian Experience Class directly after getting one year of work experience in Canada. You must now apply through Express Entry which is a fairly involved process.

Mbgirlfriend

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19, 2015
AOR Received.
July 9, 2015
Med's Request
January 19, 2016
Med's Done....
February 1,2016
Passport Req..
April 15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 27,2016
LANDED..........
April 28,2016
Have you looked into Provincial Nominee Programs?

What Province are you in?

In some provinces after 6 months of full time work you can apply for a PNP nomination. When you get the nomination you can use that to get another Work Permit while you wait for your application to process for PR. If you are close to one year work when you get your PNP and new WP hold off applying to CIC until you have the one year work experience and you can apply through the EE system under the CEC stream and with your PNP nomination your application would be fast tracked.

This all depend on what province you are in because the requirements are different for all Provinces.