+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need Advice Please: Same sex marriage / common law partner

punkmyworld

Jul 3, 2018
hello, guys. i badly need your advice on this. i have a girlfriend for 8yrs now. we lived together under one roof in the philipines for 2 years and 6 years here in Dubai (up to this date). And, I am planning to apply as a Permanent Resident very soon in Canada.

These are my questions:
1. Should I include her under my PR application as my common law partner? if so, what should be the required documents. We only have old and present photos and love letters to prove. sweet posts to each other and comments from friends in social media.
2. If i will include her in my PR application as my common law partner, what are the pros and cons? how many months should I wait to be with her in Canada? do i still need to apply TRV for her if she is under my visa as my common law partner and marry her in Canada?

This really bothers me a lot. I want to work and migrate in Canada but I cannot leave without my gf. we are not used to be away from each other.

Please help me. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - you must include her as your common law partner since you have lived together for more than 1 year. Recommend you join the Express Entry section of the forum where economic immigration applications are discussed to find out what evidence to include in your application. This section of the forum is for Canadians who are sponsoring family members for PR. The two application processes are still different.
2. Your only option is to include her in your application as your common law partner. If you fail to include her, you can never sponsor her in the future (even if you get married) and you will be committing misrepresentation (lying in your application) by saying you are single when you are in fact common law.

punkmyworld

Jul 3, 2018
Thank you for this info @scylla . Yes, the agency is telling me to apply for Express Entry and include my gf as my common law partner.

quick question, I am planning to include my brother who is also under Permanent Residency in Canada for me to have an additional points for my PR application. would this be a problem in the future?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for this info @scylla . Yes, the agency is telling me to apply for Express Entry and include my gf as my common law partner.

quick question, I am planning to include my brother who is also under Permanent Residency in Canada for me to have an additional points for my PR application. would this be a problem in the future?
Again, you need to move over to the Express Entry section of the forum. The questions you are asking (including the one about your brother) relate to the Express Entry application process.

punkmyworld

Jul 3, 2018
Hello, @scylla.

I have to bother you again. I'm Sorry.

I'm about to finish gathering all the supporting docs for my common law sponsorship application.

Except for the letters. They said I need to provide letters from our respective family members, from our friends and landlords.

Is there a specific format that I should follow for this letter? Does it need to be notarized?

I don't know really what to tell my friends and family what to write. Please enlighten me. Thanks.