+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice!!!! help please

Tara26

Mar 22, 2009
I'm a little overcome as I am writeing this ......I'll start by saying my boyfriends parents just moved over from Germany this past febuary.His father was guranteed a job and his work visa was issued out to him without a hitch.His wife could work under his visa. When they came to Edmonton shortly afterwards (after leaveing everything behind and takeing there belongings) the company that he was supposed to start work with told him they wouldnt be hireing untill May. After another inquiry the answer is now December. What are these people to do? I have called every immigration office in the phone book and am getting a different answer everytime.The biggest response I hear is that is order for him to change his work permit it will cost him thousands of dollars to do so, well thats unrealistic considering they where guranteed a job and relaying on that for an income,and now after 3 months are almost without any money. Or secondly they have to get an LMO issued from an employer and both have to follow under a skilled trades worker (which they do have).Where do you find employers in this economy that will do this?Is is true is costs thousands of dollars to get a work visa /permit ? I am absolutely and utterly fed up with this immigration system .....i need someone for once to give me the right advice and am hopeing i will get it here ......Thanks ....Tara.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Tara26 said:
I'm a little overcome as I am writeing this ......I'll start by saying my boyfriends parents just moved over from Germany this past febuary.His father was guranteed a job and his work visa was issued out to him without a hitch.His wife could work under his visa. When they came to Edmonton shortly afterwards (after leaveing everything behind and takeing there belongings) the company that he was supposed to start work with told him they wouldnt be hireing untill May. After another inquiry the answer is now December. What are these people to do? I have called every immigration office in the phone book and am getting a different answer everytime.The biggest response I hear is that is order for him to change his work permit it will cost him thousands of dollars to do so, well thats unrealistic considering they where guranteed a job and relaying on that for an income,and now after 3 months are almost without any money. Or secondly they have to get an LMO issued from an employer and both have to follow under a skilled trades worker (which they do have).Where do you find employers in this economy that will do this?Is is true is costs thousands of dollars to get a work visa /permit ? I am absolutely and utterly fed up with this immigration system .....i need someone for once to give me the right advice and am hopeing i will get it here ......Thanks ....Tara.
1. One choice find a new employer, get a new LMO and apply for a new work permit. That is the only way other than returning home to Germany. The cost for a work permit is $150.00 . You should note that the spouses open work permit is still valid if she has one.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is not really the fault of immigration. Immigration gave him the work permit but nobody is really guaranteed a job. At any time you can be laid off and when you are on a temporary work permit, it's a bad situation. You can't take another job right away because your work permit is tied to that employer. The only solution is to find another job and get a new work permit. This also happens to Canadians and other non-EU people who come to work in Germany. Exactly the same thing.

If they want to blame somebody, they should blame the employer. If he knew he was doing badly and knew he could not take him right away, he should have let him know not to come.

Normally, if the guy is a skilled worker, the wife gets an open work permit. If that is what the wife has, she can still work. The husband will have to try to find another company with an open LMO or that can get an LMO for him. If he can get an LMO, he just has to go to the border and pay $150 to get a work permit for the new employer. I know a bunch of German guys in Edmonton and many of them are laid off too. Some companies laying off people and others are not hiring. Service Canada has all but stopped issuing LMO's and I even heard that they've been asking companies with open LMO's to return them.

They can try either of these employment agencies if they are still open:
http://www.pathfinderconsulting.ca/index.php
http://www.immigration-r-us.com/
Both of them used to find jobs for German tradesmen when things were booming but I guess it must be very slow for them right now.