+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need a police certificate?

omarawad

Jul 1, 2018
I was an international master's student in Canada then got my PGWP and applied for the CEC stream to get PR. I'm now applying for citizenship. I have the following questions:
  • Considering I was already in Canada for 3 years before applying to PR, what is my considered my "country of origin" in this case (country of citizenship or Canada)?
  • I spent 6 months in my country of citizenship before becoming a PR and finalizing my landing procedures in Canada, do I need to submit a police certificate for that time?
Police certificate(s)

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there
  • in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years
If you can’t get a police certificate, tell us why in the explanation box.

To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued
  • after the last time you were in that country, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I was an international master's student in Canada then got my PGWP and applied for the CEC stream to get PR. I'm now applying for citizenship. I have the following questions:
  • Considering I was already in Canada for 3 years before applying to PR, what is my considered my "country of origin" in this case (country of citizenship or Canada)?
  • I spent 6 months in my country of citizenship before becoming a PR and finalizing my landing procedures in Canada, do I need to submit a police certificate for that time?
Did you submit PCC as part of your PR application?

Reactions: omarawad

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
There is no clear answer. For multiple reasons.

There are questions in addition to the question about whether in your particular circumstances your home country (the country of your nationality) qualifies as your country of origin. (My sense is it is OK to proceed on the basis your home country is your country of origin, notwithstanding some open questions about this.)

In particular, however, even if your home country is your country of origin, that does not for sure mean the country of origin exemption applies in your case.

For example, @forw.jane asks an important question. "Did you submit PCC as part of your PR application?"

And even if you did, the date of the police certificate could make a difference.

I will dive a bit into the issues below, but will offer this upfront:

Despite a lack of clarity about what "country of origin" means in this context, and what it means in your situation in particular, it should be safe to proceed on the basis that your country of nationality is your country of origin. (Will address this further below.)

Thus, if you submitted a PCC from your home country (your country of nationality), AND you have not traveled back there since you landed and formally became a Canadian PR, you probably do not need to include a new PCC with the citizenship application. NOTE: You could, nonetheless, be required to submit one later in the process.

Responding to Question 10.b. In Particular:

If you were in any country other than Canada, including your home country, for 183 days in a row during the four year period preceding the date you apply for citizenship, the correct response to Question 10.b. is [Yes] and generally this would mean you need to include a PCC with the application.

That country must be listed in the Question 10.b. chart.

In regards to whether you will submit a PCC, you can, however, check "No" in the drop down in the Question 10.b. chart, and in the chart column titled "Explanation" state something like "No PCC included because XXX country is my country of origin and time period there was prior to my becoming a permanent resident;" but of course you should do this ONLY IF you honestly believe the country of origin exemption applies to you.

It would be reasonable to believe the country of origin exemption applies to you if:
-- when you were in your home country for 183 days in a row during the four year period preceding the date you apply for citizenship, that was BEFORE your PR landing, and​
-- you submitted a PCC from your home country as part of your PR application, and​
-- you have NOT returned to your home country since you landed​

So, for Question 10.b., check [Yes], list the country in the chart, indicate that no PCC will be included, and refer to the country of origin exemption in the explanation box. Then submit the application without a home country PCC.

CAVEAT:

My sense is that the approach described above is a reasonable understanding of the instructions and how they apply, and thus an acceptable approach.

That said, this is NOT for sure. There are alternative views about this.

Moreover, unless you submitted a PCC from the home country with your PR application that was dated not much before you landed, sometime during that six month period you were there just before landing, the better approach might be to just go ahead with getting a new PCC to submit with your citizenship application. That is, it would be better to include the PCC and NOT claim the country of origin exemption.

Another option would be to claim the country of origin exemption, but in the meantime proceed to obtain a new PCC from your home country to have in case IRCC asks for one later in the process, so you could quickly submit it and minimize the amount of delay this non-routine processing might casue.

On the other hand . . . there is the view that you can reasonably claim the country of origin exemption even if you did not submit a PCC from that country as part of your PR application, and even if you traveled to your home country after landing. My understanding to the contrary of this view is based on Example 1 in the Guide instructions for Question 10.b. See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4

In particular, my understanding of Example 1 is that is illustrates that to qualify for the home country exemption, the applicant must have submitted a PCC from that country as part of the process of becoming a PR, AND also NOT have returned there after landing. Again, others see this differently.

Country of Origin:

There is a lack of clarity as to what "country of origin" means in the IRCC instructions for Question 10.b. in the Guide for making a citizenship application, regarding which in addition to more lengthy discussions a few years ago (around the time IRCC revised the application requirements in regards to who must include a PCC) there is some more recent discussion, here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-police-certificate-clearance-requirement.848487/ and here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/police-certificate.848662/

And this difference in views also emerged in response to what was essentially the same query by you back in May, here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-application-do-i-need-a-police-certificate.846440/

My understanding is that in this context "country of origin" means the country in which a person was last residing before immigrating to Canada. This too is based in part on Example 1 in the Guide's instructions for Question 10.b., regarding how to answer that question and whether the applicant needs to include a PCC with the application.

In contrast, more than a few (including in other parts of the CanadaVisa forums) have stated that "country of origin" refers to an individual's home country, that is the country of their birth or nationality.

For most people applying for Canadian citizenship, the country in which they were last residing before immigrating to Canada is also their home country, that is the country of their nationality. So usually, for the vast majority of applicants, it makes no difference which is the correct interpretation. And even among those who were residing in a country other than their home country when they applied for PR, it is likely most are not claiming the country of origin exemption as a reason to not include a PCC with a citizenship application.

If my understanding is correct, your situation in this regard is a little complicated because the country in which you were residing when you applied for PR was Canada. But it should be reasonable to proceed based on the understanding that your home country is your "country of origin."

omarawad

Jul 1, 2018
It would be reasonable to believe the country of origin exemption applies to you if:
-- when you were in your home country for 183 days in a row during the four year period preceding the date you apply for citizenship, that was BEFORE your PR landing, and
-- you submitted a PCC from your home country as part of your PR application, and
-- you have NOT returned to your home country since you landed
Thanks for the detailed response! Referring to the quoted part, this is my situation:
-- Spent 6 months before my PR landing
-- submitted a PCC from my home country as part of my PR application (although it does not cover the above 6 months)
-- I did visit my home country for 2 months after becoming a PR (I actually had obtained a new PCC during that time as a precautionary step in case I need for my citizenship app. but unfortunately it dates a bit older than 6 months so not sure if it will be accepted)

Do you think I should obtain another PCC in this case or it is safe to claim the country of origin exemption?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for the detailed response! Referring to the quoted part, this is my situation:
-- Spent 6 months before my PR landing
-- submitted a PCC from my home country as part of my PR application (although it does not cover the above 6 months)
-- I did visit my home country for 2 months after becoming a PR (I actually had obtained a new PCC during that time as a precautionary step in case I need for my citizenship app. but unfortunately it dates a bit older than 6 months so not sure if it will be accepted)

Do you think I should obtain another PCC in this case or it is safe to claim the country of origin exemption?
I am no expert and I am not qualified to give personal advice.

But if you have a PCC that you obtained during your last visit to that country, you can check "Yes" you will submit a PCC and submit that one. A PCC older than six months is still good (the IRCC instructions refer to it as "valid") if it was issued "after the last time you were in that country." While it appears that your latest one was issued while you were still in that country, so not technically not after you were there, the odds should be good it will work . . .
. . . very likely it will work to meet the requirements for making a complete application, and so avoid having the application returned as incomplete.​
. . . and probably work to avoid being asked for another one later during the processing of your application, although IRCC might ask for a newer one.​

No need to claim the country of origin exemption if you approach it that way. To get some insurance toward minimizing the amount of delay if IRCC later asks for a newer one, proceed to get a new one in order to have it in hand to submit right away.

Regarding Claiming Country of Origin Exemption:

As I tried to emphasize, there is a lack of clarity about how the country of origin exemption applies. There are different views about this. You can see from my previous response my understanding is that a new PCC is needed if there was a return to that country after landing. But that I acknowledge others think trips to that country after landing do not preclude the country of origin exemption.

And then, what do you mean by "safe?"

If you honestly believe the exemption applies notwithstanding your return to your home country (as I noted, this is the view some others here have), then for Question 10.b. check [Yes], list the country in the chart, indicate that no PCC will be included, and refer to the country of origin exemption in the explanation box. Then submit the application without a home country PCC. That should satisfy what is needed to make a complete application, so avoid having the application returned as incomplete.

If you take that approach and IRCC does not accept your reason, that will just mean IRCC is likely to require one later in the process. This could cause some delay in processing, but if you can quickly submit a new PCC that should minimize the amount of delay.

Moreover, as long as the application has passed the completeness screening, my sense is that IRCC might be lenient in how it applies this to SOME applicants, depending on other background factors and which country is involved. That is, whether later in processing the application IRCC asks for a PCC could depend on the extent to which IRCC might have a concern the applicant has a criminal or security matter potentially constituting a prohibition. It might be similar to how IRCC does not always demand passport translations even though its instructions state that a translation is required for any information that is not in one of Canada's official languages . . . not as liberal as that, perhaps, but if it looks like there is no cause to apprehend the possibility of a prohibition, my guess is that IRCC might not bother to request a PCC later in the process.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I did but as you can tell it does not cover the 6 months I spend in home country just before obtaining PR.
If you would have directly come from your citizenship country to Canada after your PR you could have used the exemption clause.
As your 6 months visit is not covered by any previous PCC submitted you would need one.