+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

naturalized canadian citizen ,,,,,,child born outside canada

786star

Star Member
Jul 31, 2013
Hi I am a Canadian citizen living outside Canada.
I am naturalized Canadian citizen (as I first immigrate to Canada and lived there for three years and and then obtain my Canadian Citizenship)
now if I give birth to a child outside of Canada then do I need to sponsor that child to become Permanent resident or will he be already a citizen?

Also in the guide I read:
a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen at birth only if that child is born in the first generation outside Canada, that is, at the time of their birth, their Canadian parent:
was born in Canada, or
became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada (becoming a permanent resident) and being granted citizenship (also know as naturalization).

i do not understand what they mean by first generation outside canada

As all of my grand parents were not Canadian citizen and my parents first immigrate to Canada and lived there for three years and got citizenship. so my child would not be first generation born outside Canada.
please explain ....help me ..........

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
786star said:
Hi I am a Canadian citizen living outside Canada.
I am naturalized Canadian citizen (as I first immigrate to Canada and lived there for three years and and then obtain my Canadian Citizenship)
now if I give birth to a child outside of Canada then do I need to sponsor that child to become Permanent resident or will he be already a citizen?

Also in the guide I read:
a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen at birth only if that child is born in the first generation outside Canada, that is, at the time of their birth, their Canadian parent:
was born in Canada, or
became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada (becoming a permanent resident) and being granted citizenship (also know as naturalization).

i do not understand what they mean by first generation outside canada

As all of my grand parents were not Canadian citizen and my parents first immigrate to Canada and lived there for three years and got citizenship. so my child would not be first generation born outside Canada.
please explain ....help me ..........
Naturalized Canadians and Canadians born in Canada are considered 1st generation Canadians. So as a 1st gen canadian, your child is Canadian citizen by law and considered to be 2nd generation canadian.

Since your child is canadian citizen by law but you still have to list the child as dependent. Not 100% sure how to go about this sponsorship since they do not have a proof of canadian citizenship at hand. Canada will only accept them to be Canadians when they show canadian citizenship papers.

Lucky for us, we had registered our 2 children as Canadians (they were born in US) and thus I didn't need to sponsor my 2 kids along with my wife. Just my wife only. I did have to include my 2 kids as dependents with details of their citizenship.

If we didn't have them registered as Canadians, I honestly wouldn't know exactly what to do. I would have called , email CIC or contact Canadian embassy to give me directions on what to do since they are Canadians by law but no proof of it.

Screech339

786star

Star Member
Jul 31, 2013
thanks for ur quick reply
it means that i am the first generation and my child will be considered as citizen.

and now if i apply for his citizenship , in the proof they are asking for his permanent resident card and stuff like that?

problem is i am stuck here ?

if anyone has any info please tell me :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
786star said:
thanks for ur quick reply
it means that i am the first generation and my child will be considered as citizen.

and now if i apply for his citizenship , in the proof they are asking for his permanent resident card and stuff like that?

problem is i am stuck here ?

if anyone has any info please tell me :)
What you need to fill out is "proof of Canadian citizenship card" application. Not Applying for Canadian citizenship. Two difference processes.

They will ask for government pictures IDs, long form birth certificate showing your name as parent and child's name along with your IDs, proof of Canadian citizenship and the like. I think you only need to submit photocopies of the IDs as they will not return them to you. The sooner you send it in, the sooner your child will get Proof of Citizenship.

In my case, with the 2 kids being born in Canada, I had to show copies of their social security card, US passport, US Passcard and their US birth certificates. So before I could do any of that, I had to wait for US IDs to come through first before starting the Canadian Citizenship Certificate for them. I notorized the copies of the IDs to give it same strength as originals.

screech339

786star

Star Member
Jul 31, 2013
okay if i apply for my child for citizenship certificate(proof of citizenship)
and get it .then what next step?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
786star said:
okay if i apply for my child for citizenship certificate(proof of citizenship)
and get it .then what next step?
You can start your outland sponsorship sponsoring only your spouse. Your child still needs to be listed but not sponsored. This would be my approach to sponsoring with 2nd generation Canadians. Please do more research if you want to sponsor and move to Canada sooner before your child get proof of canadian citizenship. I can't give much more advice than what I have given you.

If you have lot of time to start the outland sponsorship, meaning there is no hurry, then I would start the canadian citizenship for the child first before starting any sponsorship for your spouse. Makes your application go a lot smoother.

screech339

786star

Star Member
Jul 31, 2013
I really appreciate ur help....:)
Actually I already have applied for my husband sponsorship. We have just sent our application. Right now we do not have a kid. But we are asking those questions to have an idea if we born our child outside of canada, what will be the process. I am just not sure about in the application of citizenship certificate for child they are asking for "permanent resident card" and landing paper ...........if my child would be citizen by birth and born outside canada...how could i obtain permanent resident card for him?
thanks gain for ur help :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
786star said:
I really appreciate ur help....:)
Actually I already have applied for my husband sponsorship. We have just sent our application. Right now we do not have a kid. But we are asking those questions to have an idea if we born our child outside of canada, what will be the process. I am just not sure about in the application of citizenship certificate for child they are asking for "permanent resident card" and landing paper ...........if my child would be citizen by birth and born outside canada...how could i obtain permanent resident card for him?
thanks gain for ur help :)
You will have to inform CIC as soon as possible so that they can add your child's name to the application. This may cause some delay since it require them to update the application. You can't hide this from CIC. If you kept this info from CIC and landed after the fact, you would have no choice but to leave child behind until child gets proof of canadian citizenship and then Canadian passport to enter canada. Quite a lengthty process.

Since you already submitted the outland, I would suggest to wait until you are in canada before planning any children. This is my personal opinion if I were in your shoes as I would want the sponsorship papers to go quickly and smoothly as possible. Any further changes to your application now will only cause more delay in getting PR for your spouse.

Screech339

786star

Star Member
Jul 31, 2013
thank you ...i really apprecaite ur quick reply......and we have not hidden anything form CIC....we have no children right now.....and i m not even pragnant .......i was just asking to clearify everything......and thanks againn :)........

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
786star said:
thank you ...i really apprecaite ur quick reply......and we have not hidden anything form CIC....we have no children right now.....and i m not even pragnant .......i was just asking to clearify everything......and thanks againn :)........
Not a problem. Better to be informed and know what you are up against should you get pregnant before PR is completed.

BTW: should you get pregnant and then land with your spouse, you will likely to be responsible for cost to deliver baby before your 3 months residency requirement. Most provinces have a 3 month residency rule before qualified for provincal health coverage.

Screech339

Arif Siddiqi

May 23, 2014
Hi

I became naturalized Canadian citizen this year. I have two kids born 2006 and 2008 respectively outside Canada. I want to know can I apply for them for citizenship certificate.

Please help me in this regards.

Regards

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Arif Siddiqi said:
Hi

I became naturalized Canadian citizen this year. I have two kids born 2006 and 2008 respectively outside Canada. I want to know can I apply for them for citizenship certificate.

Please help me in this regards.

Regards
You cannot pass on your Canadian citizenship to your children because you were not Canadian at time of their birth. You would have to sponsor them for PR first. Once they are PR, or that they are already PR, you can submit for Canadian citizenship application. The children would still need to maintain their PR status (stay in Canada 2 years out of 5).

Screech339

ipoo

Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London Visa Office (15-June-2015) File Received at CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015 & Decision Made on 09/02/2016
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
17-07-2015
IELTS Request
None-Not Required
File Transfer...
24-08-2015
Med's Request
No-Remedical
Med's Done....
02-06-2015 Upfromt
Interview........
Waive
Passport Req..
16-Feb-2016 submitted 22-Feb-2016 PP received on 23-Feb-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-Mar-2016, PP dispatch 31 March, Call for Collection 01-Apr-2016
LANDED..........
Inn-Sha-Allah soon
hi, well I am a Canadian citizen since 2007, I am to apply my wife's sponsorship application, hopefully in ist week of December or in the mid, I have son who was born in 2012, cause I was citizen the time my child got birth, do I still have to put his name in the dependent, where as I have my child passport and proof of citizenship certificate in hand.. do I still have to put his name in the dependent child?