+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name mismatch between Passport and COPR/Counterfoil

PM_2019

Sep 19, 2019
Hello,
I received my passport today from IRCC with the counterfoil and COPR but there is a mismatch as follows:

Passport:
  • Given Name: P1923 M3874 (first and last name in given name)
  • Surname: Blank
COPR & Counterfoil:
  • Given name: Blank
  • Surname: P1923 M3874

In the following link I read that Canadian immigration mandatorily requires a family name even if applicant only has one name (like "Madonna"):
https://www.y-axis.ae/blog/importance-of-your-surname-in-canada-immigration-application/

I've written to IRCC in my residing country about the error asking if my admission in Canada will be affected and if I need to resubmit my passport, anyone here have a similar experience? Were you able to enter Canada without problems or did you have to take corrective steps before (getting COPR/counterfoil corrected, changing name in the passport)? Are there any implications of this mismatch for when I start living in Canada, when applying for a bank account or tenancy contracts or insurance?

Thank you!

Karandi

Apr 25, 2023
Edmonton Alberta
Category........
Other
Hello,
I received my passport today from IRCC with the counterfoil and COPR but there is a mismatch as follows:

Passport:
  • Given Name: P1923 M3874 (first and last name in given name)
  • Surname: Blank
COPR & Counterfoil:
  • Given name: Blank
  • Surname: P1923 M3874

In the following link I read that Canadian immigration mandatorily requires a family name even if applicant only has one name (like "Madonna"):
https://www.y-axis.ae/blog/importance-of-your-surname-in-canada-immigration-application/

I've written to IRCC in my residing country about the error asking if my admission in Canada will be affected and if I need to resubmit my passport, anyone here have a similar experience? Were you able to enter Canada without problems or did you have to take corrective steps before (getting COPR/counterfoil corrected, changing name in the passport)? Are there any implications of this mismatch for when I start living in Canada, when applying for a bank account or tenancy contracts or insurance?

Thank you!
Hello PM_2019,

It's essential to ensure that your documents, including your passport and Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), are accurate and consistent. A mismatch in your name between the two documents could potentially cause issues when entering Canada and accessing services later on, such as opening a bank account, applying for a driver's license, or signing tenancy contracts.

You've already taken the right step by contacting IRCC about the error. It's important to wait for their response and guidance on how to proceed. They may ask you to resubmit your passport for corrections or provide additional documentation to support the correction.

If they advise you to correct the error before entering Canada, it's essential to follow their instructions to avoid any issues during your entry or while settling in Canada. If they determine that the mismatch won't cause any problems, make sure to keep a record of their response, just in case you encounter any difficulties related to the name discrepancy in the future.

adventuretime

Mar 26, 2024
Adventure Time Tourism is one of the best tour operators in Qatar. We are a team of highly qualified, skilled and professional tour guides working round the clock to provide the best travel experiences to visitors. You can book all kinds of tours to have a unique travel experience of Qatar

Sep 18, 2024
Hello,

It seems like you've encountered a common issue with the name format on Canadian immigration documents. It's good that you've already reached out to IRCC. While waiting for their response, I recommend seeking professional advice to ensure everything is sorted before your travel. You might want to check with Ask Kubeir Immigration at https://askkubeir.ae/. They have experts who deal with such cases and can provide more insight into the implications for things like opening bank accounts, signing tenancy contracts, and other formalities when you move to Canada.

Best of luck, and I hope you get it resolved soon!