+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change on Nexus Card

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
Anyone have experience changing their last name on their NEXUS card after immigrating? At the moment I think I need to just sit and wait for my second PR card to come in with my new name. Meanwhile, NEXUS still shows my old address, old drivers license, old name, etc, because the people at the NEXUS office told me I need to wait until everything is in my new name (can't just show my marriage certificate).

Just curious if other people have any experience in the matter.

AndieRocks

Star Member
Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-12-2013
Med's Done....
29-10-2013
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
11-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2014
LANDED..........
Hi there, I cannot answer your question but I am interested in the name change process. Could you help me with some info on that?
I have kept my maiden name although I am legally married, now I have changed my mind and would like to take my husband's family name. How did you change your name?

clearly

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
AndieRocks said:
Hi there, I cannot answer your question but I am interested in the name change process. Could you help me with some info on that?
I have kept my maiden name although I am legally married, now I have changed my mind and would like to take my husband's family name. How did you change your name?
Hi, You basically just start replacing stuff with your new name. When it comes to marriage, all you need to do is show your marriage certificate when you change your name on something. So you go to the DMV and show your old license and your marriage certificate, for example, and they give it to you in the new name you specify on the drivers license application. You can choose to go with your spouse's name, or to concatenate with a dash in the middle, at least in Ontario. In the US you can take your old last name as your new middle name, but that doesn't seem to be legal here. Don't know why.

This all assumes you aren't in Quebec, where it goes by civil law and it's very very difficult to do a legal name change. The other provinces use old english common law, which allows you to do things like this.

AndieRocks

Star Member
Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2013
AOR Received.
20-12-2013