+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change from 15 years ago--Expert answers only please

commentbyiz

Oct 31, 2011
To standardize our last names, my father had all of us change our names about 15 years ago. This was way before I came to Canada. All of my document in Canada (immigration, university, medicals, banks, etc.) are under my new name. Even when I first applied for my study permit some 11 years ago, it was using my new name.

There is a question on the Generic Application Form that asks if I've ever used any other name. Should I list this, even if I've never used it in Canada? And secondly, do I have to send them copies of proof that I legally changed it--(they don't ask for any proof)?

Thank you.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
commentbyiz said:
To standardize our last names, my father had all of us change our names about 15 years ago. This was way before I came to Canada. All of my document in Canada (immigration, university, medicals, banks, etc.) are under my new name. Even when I first applied for my study permit some 11 years ago, it was using my new name.

There is a question on the Generic Application Form that asks if I've ever used any other name. Should I list this, even if I've never used it in Canada? And secondly, do I have to send them copies of proof that I legally changed it--(they don't ask for any proof)?

Thank you.
Yes, you have to give that name if it was ever used in any records in your country of origin; ie. in your birth certificate, your school records etc. You don't need to submit any proof for that unless asked by the visa office, but attaching an additional sheet of plain paper briefly explaining the situation would be better.