+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Change Affidavit

Aktaggar

Dec 1, 2018
Hi all,
Can someone please advise me on the following issue:

I had changed my name (added my surname) way back before in 2014 on passport, at that time I was minor and my name was changed by my father. And we only changed the name on passport, we did not inform my university about the name change, where I was doing my Bachelors degree and totally forgot about it afterwards.

When I started my study visa application process for Canada, I used my updated name with surname that was on the passport and in all Canadian education documents & work experience documents, my updated name is mentioned. But in my Indian education documents, my old name is mentioned and WES report also says that "the name mentioned here on report differs from what was mentioned on the original documents."

So now, I am submitting application for permanent residency after receiving ITA, I feel I must attach an Affidavit with the bachelors degree documents to prove that my name was changed back then? My question is: should this affidavit contain the declaration made by me? OR my father can declare it on his behalf and get that document attested by notary from India, since my name was changed by him back them and I was minor that time? Also I am currently not in India but in Canada, so thinking if I declare it and get that attested from Indian notary: would that raise questions? And would my father's declaration be accepted by IRCC?
I am also planning to attach a letter of Explanation along with affidavit.

Please advise. Thank you in advance.