+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NAFTA workers

fpaikar

Jul 15, 2013
Hi Friends ,

Just wanted to know that one of my friend is a US citizen and is currently working on work permit here in Canada under NAFTA agreement and she does not require an LMIA. Now my question is how long can she work on this work permit in Canada without applying for a PR .Can she work indefinitely in Canada under NAFTA and just keep renewing her work permit?Will be glad for your answer.

Regards

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
fpaikar said:
Hi Friends ,

Just wanted to know that one of my friend is a US citizen and is currently working on work permit here in Canada under NAFTA agreement and she does not require an LMIA. Now my question is how long can she work on this work permit in Canada without applying for a PR .Can she work indefinitely in Canada under NAFTA and just keep renewing her work permit?Will be glad for your answer.

Regards
It depends on what the employer asks for and what the immigration officials okay. You can get up to 3 years on a NAFTA permit.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Workers who are LMIA-exempt under NAFTA are also exempt from the 4 year limit on work permits.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2011/2011-03-24.asp

So under current rules, she could theoretically remain as long as she (and her employer) wants. But the thing to remember is, the only constant is change. Rules on that can change any time, and she could find herself disappointed. She and her employer could come to a parting of the ways. So if the intention is to remain in Canada indefinitely, she should probably apply for PR.