+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My situation...

uchiha_dave

Mar 8, 2010
Hi,

FYI, I immigrated to Canada(Toronto) years ago and I am a canadian citizen.

Last February, I went to Hong Kong (using Canada Passport) for vacation...but then I found a job and start working there in July and decided to stay in Hong Kong for awhile. I also obtained a China passport last year and also have Hong Kong ID card years ago.

I may come back to Canada later this year for vacation, but do you guys think it's a bit weird if I use Canada passport to go back? Since last February, I've been Hong Kong for more than a year already. Is there any problem? Are they(airport customs or others) going to ask me why I leave Canada for more than a year?

I did not apply for non-resident in canada because I may come back to Canada "for good" in 2 years. and I don't mind paying tax for both side for now.

uchiha_dave

Mar 8, 2010
I think I may post it in the wrong section. Please move it to "Citizenship" or "Permanent residency obligations" section. Thanks :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

uchiha_dave said:
Hi,

FYI, I immigrated to Canada(Toronto) years ago and I am a canadian citizen.

Last February, I went to Hong Kong (using Canada Passport) for vacation...but then I found a job and start working there in July and decided to stay in Hong Kong for awhile. I also obtained a China passport last year and also have Hong Kong ID card years ago.

I may come back to Canada later this year for vacation, but do you guys think it's a bit weird if I use Canada passport to go back? Since last February, I've been Hong Kong for more than a year already. Is there any problem? Are they(airport customs or others) going to ask me why I leave Canada for more than a year?

I did not apply for non-resident in canada because I may come back to Canada "for good" in 2 years. and I don't mind paying tax for both side for now.
Why would you complicate things and not use a Canadian passport to enter Canada?

PMM

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Citizens can live where they please, and there's no need to justify anything to Canadian authorities. So, as PMM implies, use your Canadian passport to come to Canada.

If you use your Chinese passport, you'll need a consular visa (a tedious bureaucratic affair). You will get an (almost) automatic 6-month visitor's visa with your Hong Kong passport/Identity card, but why complicate thigns? Use your Canadian passport.

By the way, I thought China did not allow dual citizenships: that if you hold a Chinese passport you must renounce your Canadian citizenship. At least that is what my Chinese wife says.

On the issue of being resident/non-resident of Canada for tax-paying purposes. I don't know what the tax rate is on employment income in Hong Kong, but it's probably higher in Canada. SO if you declare yourself a non-resident of Canada, you won't then have to file a Canadian tax return.

Read carefully the CRA website on becoming a non-resident, and especially IT-221 R3.