+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My fiance is a canadian citizen, I Am american, what do i do to live in canada?

jwharris08

Oct 6, 2014
as it states i want to move to Canada with my fiance, she is a Canadian citizen and I'm an American citizen. I have looked into work permits, however i spoke with quite a few places that said in order to get a job offer i have to have a work permit, however the Cic website says that in order to get a work permit i need to get a job offer first . so this is where i am confused. one place tells me this, another tells me that. Then to top it all off the likelihood of me getting a job offer is slim to none because my skills include, cooking, driving heavy wheeled vehicles(trained by the army) shooting weapons, garage door instillation and repair, and painting. All of which are jobs that are easily filled. so how do i get into Canada ? any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
If you're living together for at least 1 year, your fiance can sponsor you for PR. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/
Otherwise you need to get a job offer, then your employer needs to get LMIA for you, and then you need to get a work permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need a job offer and an approved LMIA (something your employer gets) in order to qualify for a work permit. Most employers don't want to go through this process because it's expensive and takes a long time. Saying you need a work permit before they'll give you a job is their way of saying they don't want to go through the process.

I'd recommend that you join the Family Class sponsorship section of this forum. This is where you'll find the discussions about being sponsored for permanent residency by your partner.