+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience as an """"immigrant"""" in Quebec

chucho26

Feb 9, 2015
Hi all,

(Feel free to give your opinion at the end)

First of all, I am not an immigrant, but a Canadian citizen. I was born in Montreal in 1987. My parents are both Lebanese (no hijab, not religious). I wanted to give my opinion of Canada as a country and especially Quebec. Although I am not an immigrant, in the head of many people who would meet me on the street, I am one. What about your kids? They will be Canadian right? I thought my experience would help some of you.

First, my experience is MINE and cannot be transferred to everyone.

Job:

As a Canadian, I NEVER had a hard time to find a job, since I have been twelve years old. I work now as a teacher and I receive many calls to accept some contracts or to sub, but I decline all the contracts since I want to sub at the moment (simpler and more time for me). If you want to find a job you CAN. It is obvious that if you to Saguenay or Gaspésie and you wear a Turban or Hijab your chances will diminish, it is SAD but it is true. Although I find that in Ontario it is less a problem than in Quebec. I met many immigrants in my life and they were all able to work. When you will get here, you will get a job FOR SURE, it will not be the best one, probably, but it will make ends meet. It is important as an immigrant to make new friends and people you can hang out with and not be ALONE.

Rest of Canada vs. Quebec (social imaginary and NOT INDIVIDUALS).

As an ethnic minority, I feel that there is a huge difference between Quebec and the rest of Canada. Canada is much more open-minded to "ethnic Canadians" than in Quebec. The #1 proof that can't lie is the media. When you open your T.V. in Quebec and you watch a series that is aired in MONTREAL and you do not see a single ethnic minority, but only 100% pure-blood Quebeckers, it means that there is a problem. Ethnic minorities are also excluded from all commercials, you very rarely see one. Actually, you do see ethnic minorities on T.V. when they speak about murdered or people who ask for silly things. You just have to watch TSN vs. RDS and you will notice that ethnic minorities in Quebec are not considered as 100% Québécois. Same thing when you open the newspaper "Journal de Montréal" and you see that NONE of the journalists are from an ethnic minority background; it is the Journal of Montreal, not the Journal of Gaspé, weird. Hence, the media in Quebec is basically reserved to pure quebeckers, with some exceptions, whereas in Ontario, ethnic minorities (Canadians) are much more included in the society.

Individuals

People from Quebec are helpful and nice most of the time. It is not comparable to cultures such as Latin American or Arabic or Eastern European. Quebecois will be very friendly and you will enjoy a night with them, but the next day, it is possible that they don't even say hi to you. For people who are used to "warm cultures" this will be a huge upset. As a matter of fact, I was born here and grew up here and I had tons of friends that are from Quebec. They are really nice people, who will help you when you need it. Nonetheless, most of my friends are from other cultures (Romanians, Chileans, Africans, etc.). In my experience, a Quebecois will not reject/refuse to talk to you because you are from an ethnic background, people here are not racist like in other countries. People here will not refuse entry to a nightclub, restaurant, or shopping center like in other countries. There is quite a freedom here, although excluded drastically from the mainstream media (which everyone watches) it is possible to get a proper life here.

The whole "Muslim Issue"

Because of the atrocities that are going on in third-world countries (mostly) some people take advantage of that and express their hatred towards Muslims in general. This phenomena is noticeable mostly on Facebook pages and social medias, not in day-to-day life, fortunately!!! People, here in Quebec, have a very bad opinion of Muslims in general and it is due to the fact that Media never shows a single Muslim on TV a part from the anecdotes that happen in Quebec when we see silly Imams asking for silly things + what is going on somewhere else. I think it is not as bad in Ontario. I think that if you are a practicing Muslim and your wife wears a hijab, Quebec is not a good place. Of course, it would be better than Syria at the moment, but still, people are very ignorant on that topic and have a very bad opinion of Muslims that is based mostly on what they see on T.V.

Montreal

Montreal is drastically different than the rest of Quebec. Here, you can eat Lebanese (yummy) Greek, Thai, Arabic, Indian, Mexican etc. People here are open-minded because of the huge diversity that exists, many of my friends identify themselves more with Montreal than with Quebec. I also lived far for Montreal, in ares with no immigrants at all and it was fine, just less going on and people are not used to see ethnic minorities.

I hope my experience and opinion helped some of you.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
This is a great post. Thanks for taking the time...

Please share with me:
1. What the job market is like in Quebec especially in Montreal. I am aware french is a key factor in obtaining employment, but is it always?
2. Any specific employers you'd recommend that focus more on one's english proficiency than french?
3. Which areas/neighborhoods (with English speaking communities, generally safe, with professionals) would you recommend for a young family? From my research, Pointe-claire, NDG, beaconsfield are some of the few that come highly recommended. Your opinion and advice? Any particular streets/apartment complexes you'd recommend?
4. The cost of montessori (english)schools

Again, thanks for the post.

DirectEnergy

Star Member
Dec 2, 2012
chucho26 said:
People... are helpful and nice most of the time. It is not comparable to cultures such as Latin American or Arabic or Eastern European. Quebecois will be very friendly and you will enjoy a night with them, but the next day, it is possible that they don't even say hi to you.
That's a very interesting concept of being "nice" and "friendly". I assume Latin Americans, Arabs and Eastern Europeans are incomparably less "friendly" and "nice" because they at least say hi to a person they had met before. Am I right? 8)

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Quebec is a dump. Have you seen the roads in Montreal? I bet Kabul or Beruit prob even Somalia have better roads. Montreal is also a very filthy city with dirty old buildings and lots of homeless people and jobless hipsters. Stay away from Quebec. Quebec is also the most heavily taxed state/province in all of North America, and the province is pretty much bankrupt and relies on money from Ottawa to keep going. I find the whole language police issue silly and a nasty aspect of Quebec life.

Further, Quebec is heavily corrupt, it is a well known fact that the mafia has infiltrated all levels of the Quebec government, that is one reason why their infrastrucre is so poor - built by mafia gangs. Quebec is more like a 3rd world country rather than a solid North American state/province.

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
AAL1984 said:
Quebec is a dump. Have you seen the roads in Montreal? I bet Kabul or Beruit prob even Somalia have better roads. Montreal is also a very filthy city with dirty old buildings and lots of homeless people and jobless hipsters. Stay away from Quebec. Quebec is also the most heavily taxed state/province in all of North America, and the province is pretty much bankrupt and relies on money from Ottawa to keep going. I find the whole language police issue silly and a nasty aspect of Quebec life.

Further, Quebec is heavily corrupt, it is a well known fact that the mafia has infiltrated all levels of the Quebec government, that is one reason why their infrastrucre is so poor - built by mafia gangs. Quebec is more like a 3rd world country rather than a solid North American state/province.
When he talks about Quebec I think he means Quebec city and not the province of Quebec.

chucho26

Feb 9, 2015
DirectEnergy said:
That's a very interesting concept of being "nice" and "friendly". I assume Latin Americans, Arabs and Eastern Europeans are incomparably less "friendly" and "nice" because they at least say hi to a person they had met before. Am I right? 8)
Sorry, maybe I did not make myself clear. I meant that Latin Americans, Arabs, and Eastern Europeans usually share a very warm culture and are very friendly, but also helpful. Usually, people from those countries or cultures are much more warm. Yes, of course, usually those people will say "hi" when they see you again and not ignore you haha.

chucho26

Feb 9, 2015
next2015 said:
This is a great post. Thanks for taking the time...

Please share with me:
1. What the job market is like in Quebec especially in Montreal. I am aware french is a key factor in obtaining employment, but is it always?
2. Any specific employers you'd recommend that focus more on one's english proficiency than french?
3. Which areas/neighborhoods (with English speaking communities, generally safe, with professionals) would you recommend for a young family? From my research, Pointe-claire, NDG, beaconsfield are some of the few that come highly recommended. Your opinion and advice? Any particular streets/apartment complexes you'd recommend?
4. The cost of montessori (english)schools

Again, thanks for the post.

Hi,
1. I could not tell you, I am not an expert. For sure, you'll easily be able to find a job in a call center that pays roughly 15$/hour IMO.
2. Yes, it is possible to work only in English in Montreal (especially places like downtown, West Island, NDG, etc.)
3. Montreal is a safe city in general wherever you go, some people feel uncomfortable in places such as Henri-Bourassa or St-Michel, but it is only due to the fact that those areas are very multi ethnic and have a lot of black people; yes, some people are close-minded unfortunately. West Island would be your best bet for an English environment. Also, Westmount is very nice but very $$$$$.
4. I don't know haha!

hibakrey

Jul 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
BUCH
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
14/02/2014 SECOND TIME 02/07/2015
Passport Req..
PPR 31/8/2015
LANDED..........
INSHALA DECEMBER 2015
chucho26 said:
Hi all,

First of all, I am not an immigrant, but a Canadian citizen. I was born in Montreal in 1987. My parents are both Lebanese (no hijab, not religious). I wanted to give my opinion of Canada as a country and especially Quebec. Although I am not an immigrant, in the head of many people who would meet me on the street, I am one. What about your kids? They will be Canadian right? I thought my experience would help some of you.

Job:

As a Canadian, I NEVER had a hard time to find a job, since I have been twelve years old. I work now as a teacher and I receive many calls to accept some contracts or to sub, but I decline all the contracts since I want to sub at the moment (simpler and more time for me). If you want to find a job you CAN. It is obvious that if you to Saguenay or Gaspésie and you wear a Turban or Hijab your chances will diminish, it is SAD but it is true. Although I find that in Ontario it is less a problem than in Quebec. I met many immigrants in my life and they were all able to work. When you will get here, you will get a job FOR SURE, it will not be the best one, probably, but it will make ends meet. It is important as an immigrant to make new friends and people you can hang out with and not be ALONE.

As an ethnic minority, I feel that there is a huge difference between Quebec and the rest of Canada. Canada is much more open-minded to "ethnic Canadians" than in Quebec. The #1 proof that can't lie is the media. When you open your T.V. in Quebec and you watch a series that is aired in MONTREAL and you do not see a single ethnic minority, but only 100% pure-blood Quebeckers, it means that there is a problem. Ethnic minorities are also excluded from all commercials, you very rarely see one. Actually, you do see ethnic minorities on T.V. when they speak about murdered or people who ask for silly things. You just have to watch TSN vs. RDS and you will notice that ethnic minorities in Quebec are not considered as 100% Québécois. Same thing when you open the newspaper "Journal de Montréal" and you see that NONE of the journalists are from an ethnic minority background; it is the Journal of Montreal, not the Journal of Gaspé, weird. Hence, the media in Quebec is basically reserved to pure quebeckers, with some exceptions, whereas in Ontario, ethnic minorities (Canadians) are much more included in the society.

Individuals

People from Quebec are helpful and nice most of the time. It is not comparable to cultures such as Latin American or Arabic or Eastern European. Quebecois will be very friendly and you will enjoy a night with them, but the next day, it is possible that they don't even say hi to you. For people who are used to "warm cultures" this will be a huge upset. As a matter of fact, I was born here and grew up here and I had tons of friends that are from Quebec. They are really nice people, who will help you when you need it. Nonetheless, most of my friends are from other cultures (Romanians, Chileans, Africans, etc.). In my experience, a Quebecois will not reject/refuse to talk to you because you are from an ethnic background, people here are not racist like in other countries. People here will not refuse entry to a nightclub, restaurant, or shopping center like in other countries. There is quite a freedom here, although excluded drastically from the mainstream media (which everyone watches) it is possible to get a proper life here.

The whole "Muslim Issue"

Because of the atrocities that are going on in third-world countries (mostly) some people take advantage of that and express their hatred towards Muslims in general. This phenomena is noticeable mostly on Facebook pages and social medias, not in day-to-day life, fortunately!!! People, here in Quebec, have a very bad opinion of Muslims in general and it is due to the fact that Media never shows a single Muslim on TV a part from the anecdotes that happen in Quebec when we see silly Imams asking for silly things + what is going on somewhere else. I think it is not as bad in Ontario. I think that if you are a practicing Muslim and your wife wears a hijab, Quebec is not a good place. Of course, it would be better than Syria at the moment, but still, people are very ignorant on that topic and have a very bad opinion of Muslims that is based mostly on what they see on T.V.

Montreal

Montreal is drastically different than the rest of Quebec. Here, you can eat Lebanese (yummy) Greek, Thai, Arabic, Indian, Mexican etc. People here are open-minded because of the huge diversity that exists, many of my friends identify themselves more with Montreal than with Quebec. I also lived far for Montreal, in ares with no immigrants at all and it was fine, just less going on and people are not used to see ethnic minorities.

hello, and thanks for sharing with us ur point of view and experience, we are small family from lebanon too :D (my husband, my five years old son and me) we are muslims but i dont wear hijab (for now 8) :D ) we are open minded and respects all religious and we want to immigrate cs we are tired of lebanon mentality (u know.....) and the situation here is getting worse each day we live in fear what tomorrow will bring us :-[
we got our csq for quebec in nov 2013 and now we are in federal part we did our medicals a year ago and now waiting for our visa, we are trillangue (french english and of course arabic ;D) we are torn between montreal and toronto, our search and friends advise us about montreal cs it is better for families (example the day care costs later on if we will have more kids, the rent is cheaper...) but its hard for finding a proper work for us (i work as Human resources assistant and husband is mechanical supervisor for heavy machines) we know we have to start from scratch and we will probably work in other staff just to have food on the table for the first period, on the other hand we searched on toronto work chances and it is much better, and we have also friends there to help us but it is more expensive living so what can u advise us ? we try montreal first and then go to toronto if no luck? or skip montreal (of course we will do the landing process first in montreal) and go to toronto without wasting our money and time in montreal? thank you :-*

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Hibakrey,
With your husband's background you should also consider Edmonton. I'm sure he'll find work with the oil companies at a rig and I know it pays well. By all means Montreal and Toronto are good options to consider but may not pay as much.

A year is a long time to wait. All the best.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
chucho26 said:
Hi,
1. I could not tell you, I am not an expert. For sure, you'll easily be able to find a job in a call center that pays roughly 15$/hour IMO.
2. Yes, it is possible to work only in English in Montreal (especially places like downtown, West Island, NDG, etc.)
3. Montreal is a safe city in general wherever you go, some people feel uncomfortable in places such as Henri-Bourassa or St-Michel, but it is only due to the fact that those areas are very multi ethnic and have a lot of black people; yes, some people are close-minded unfortunately. West Island would be your best bet for an English environment. Also, Westmount is very nice but very $$$$$.
4. I don't know haha!
Thanks for the feedback.
Please share with me any particular companies you know (or heard of) in Montreal that hire individuals proficient only in English or give little attention to one's proficiency in French.

hibakrey

Jul 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
BUCH
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
14/02/2014 SECOND TIME 02/07/2015
Passport Req..
PPR 31/8/2015
LANDED..........
INSHALA DECEMBER 2015
next2015 said:
Hibakrey,
With your husband's background you should also consider Edmonton. I'm sure he'll find work with the oil companies at a rig and I know it pays well. By all means Montreal and Toronto are good options to consider but may not pay as much.

A year is a long time to wait. All the best.
hello thank you for your suggest, well Alberta is in our plan also if Toronto didn't work for us, but we were looking at Calgary, i didn't search for Edmonton chances yet, i will consider it ;) my husband has to study to get a license or a certificate so he could be able to work in his career, and now we hear on the news that Alberta is laying off some workers (or the job market is getting freeze) cs of the oil prices and stuff, so i don't know, the thing is we want to limit spending money from our savings so we want to try to settle once for all , and not moving in different cities, of course at the end we have to follow our jobs if we have to. that is why we are asking is it worth it to look in Montreal? or just skip it and go to Toronto?

KbGold

Star Member
Jun 13, 2008
chucho26 said:
Hi all,

Job:

Individuals

The whole "Muslim Issue"

Montreal

Nice post. You born in Quebec but you can write good English. How is your French?

Is teaching job possible without or with badic French? (For me)

lokyy

Jun 10, 2014
Miami, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-11-2014
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
next week
LANDED..........
next week :)
im from Cuba and I find this country and most people very very very cold,,the only reason Im here is for wife otherwise I would never even visit this place,,and better not talk about the taxes..