+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My ex-wife was the principal applicant for our PR. Can I sponsor my current wife?

Helberth

Oct 11, 2018
Having my ex-wife been the principal applicant for my permanent residency in Canada, am I considered by the Canadian government as someone who was sponsored by her, or not, since our applications were submitted at the same time? We came to Canada together, me, her, and my 5-year-old daughter. She attended college, and I had a work visa. After nearly 4 years as temporary residents, we applied together for a permanent residency program, with her as the principal applicant. After obtaining permanent residency, we separated. Now, being in a new relationship, I would like to know if I am eligible to sponsor my future wife, or if the fact that she was the principal applicant implies that I was sponsored by her, and thus, I would be ineligible to sponsor my future wife for 5 years?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Having my ex-wife been the principal applicant for my permanent residency in Canada, am I considered by the Canadian government as someone who was sponsored by her, or not, since our applications were submitted at the same time? We came to Canada together, me, her, and my 5-year-old daughter. She attended college, and I had a work visa. After nearly 4 years as temporary residents, we applied together for a permanent residency program, with her as the principal applicant. After obtaining permanent residency, we separated. Now, being in a new relationship, I would like to know if I am eligible to sponsor my future wife, or if the fact that she was the principal applicant implies that I was sponsored by her, and thus, I would be ineligible to sponsor my future wife for 5 years?
You can sponsor your future wife. The five year rule does not apply to you.