+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My education score is too low

expressentree

Mar 15, 2016
Hi all,

I am looking at my points in my recently activated Express Entry profile and I'm a little confused. Apparently I have 38 points in the "CRS - Skill Transferability - Education" factor, when I think I should have 75 (or 50 if that is the cap)

The system is treating me as if I have just one post-secondary degree, but I have 2, which should fulfill the "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer". I have one three-year bachelors degree and one postgraduate certificate, which should make up 2 degrees that get me those extra points indicated by the CRS points guide.

I have 1 year canadian work experience (25 points) + full score on language test (50 points) which by my count should add up to 75 points. Or 50 points, if that's the cap. 38 doesn't make sense.

Any clue why this might be?

P.s I also think the system is overestimating my foreign work experience score (I have 11 months, so it should have 0, and in fact scores me 38)

expressentree

Mar 15, 2016
To answer my own question, here's the answer:

When filling in information about your education credentials, in the 'level of education' field, you should show the highest level of education you have obtained, across your entire life, in the most recent educational credential you received. So if you did a bachelors degree then a postgrad certificate as I did, put '3 or more year degree' in the bachelors degree, then in the postgrad certificate, rather than picking the credential level that the course gave you, put "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer". The system does not add together credentials to form the the "two or more" credential - you need to explicitly tell the system to do that.

azarchick

Aug 26, 2016
expressentree said:
To answer my own question, here's the answer:

When filling in information about your education credentials, in the 'level of education' field, you should show the highest level of education you have obtained, across your entire life, in the most recent educational credential you received. So if you did a bachelors degree then a postgrad certificate as I did, put '3 or more year degree' in the bachelors degree, then in the postgrad certificate, rather than picking the credential level that the course gave you, put "Two or more post-secondary program credentials AND at least one of these credentials was issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer". The system does not add together credentials to form the the "two or more" credential - you need to explicitly tell the system to do that.
Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks!!!! You really saved my life! I tried to do what you said and got +34 points!