+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Dilemma: Should I go and pick up my passport in person from the Consulate

karyakarta

Jun 27, 2011
Hello there,

I am writing to ask if anyone have any experience or know someone who had actually been able to get their passports and visa stamps in person from the Canadian Consulate General? I mailed in my TRV (multiple) to the Canadian Consulate General in Buffalo on May 26th through FEDEX overnight mail, and the tracking showed that the package was delivered the following morning on May 27th.

I have booked a flight to Buffalo on June 30th evening, and I am very anxious as I have no idea where I stand in the process. I have emailed and faxed the Canadian Consulate asking them for an update, and their response was pretty generic saying that they are still reviewing my application. Given that the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo is closed on July 1st for Canada day, I am planning to change my iterinary and fly to Buffalo on June 29th instead so that I can make it to the Consulate the following morning and retrieve my passport and visa stamp (fingers crossed). However, this will come at a cost of an additional $800 just to fly out a day sooner in rebooking fee. At the moment, I don't have any qualm spending the additional $800 if I have assurance that I would be able to get my passport and visa successfully in person. Having said this, could someone share their inputs or experiences on being successful / unsuccessful in retrieving both their passports and visa stamps in person at any of the Canadian Consulate General in the USA (not just the one in Buffalo)? I understand that the website mentioned that there is no in person pickup for mailed-in TRV applications, but I am still willing to give it a go for it provided that there is a good chance.

A little background about myself: I am a H1-B (work visa) holder in the USA with good earnings, receive both my bachelor and post-graduate degrees in the US, have extensive travel background to destinations around the world, and I am not from those countries with mandatory wait period. I personally don't think that my application will get rejected, and I am sure that it will be approved eventually (but might not be in time before June 30th).

MCBoy

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
there is no in-person pick up for mailed in applications, they are dealt in a totally different manner. wait up, you should get it in 2-3 weeks, may be before...no other options...

ashokcan

Apr 28, 2011
karyakarta said:
Hello there,

I am writing to ask if anyone have any experience or know someone who had actually been able to get their passports and visa stamps in person from the Canadian Consulate General? I mailed in my TRV (multiple) to the Canadian Consulate General in Buffalo on May 26th through FEDEX overnight mail, and the tracking showed that the package was delivered the following morning on May 27th.

I have booked a flight to Buffalo on June 30th evening, and I am very anxious as I have no idea where I stand in the process. I have emailed and faxed the Canadian Consulate asking them for an update, and their response was pretty generic saying that they are still reviewing my application. Given that the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo is closed on July 1st for Canada day, I am planning to change my iterinary and fly to Buffalo on June 29th instead so that I can make it to the Consulate the following morning and retrieve my passport and visa stamp (fingers crossed). However, this will come at a cost of an additional $800 just to fly out a day sooner in rebooking fee. At the moment, I don't have any qualm spending the additional $800 if I have assurance that I would be able to get my passport and visa successfully in person. Having said this, could someone share their inputs or experiences on being successful / unsuccessful in retrieving both their passports and visa stamps in person at any of the Canadian Consulate General in the USA (not just the one in Buffalo)? I understand that the website mentioned that there is no in person pickup for mailed-in TRV applications, but I am still willing to give it a go for it provided that there is a good chance.

A little background about myself: I am a H1-B (work visa) holder in the USA with good earnings, receive both my bachelor and post-graduate degrees in the US, have extensive travel background to destinations around the world, and I am not from those countries with mandatory wait period. I personally don't think that my application will get rejected, and I am sure that it will be approved eventually (but might not be in time before June 30th).
One of the member in this Forum had similar situation like you. He was in LA. I suggested him to go personally to Canadian Consulate instead of sending by mail. He went there with his wife's passport also and got the Visa very next day. 8)