+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My chances...

jeff23698

Dec 8, 2009
I'm interested in moving to Quebec and eventually obtaining permanent residency. After which I would like to attend a university in Quebec.

I would basically like to just know what my chances are of being allowed to live and obtain a PR card

My basic "qualifications" are as follows:

-US citizen
-Good health
-Age 19
-Currently attending college
-Unsettled dispute: Possession of less than 2 oz. of marijuana (To be settled no later than Feb., likely to be delayed for at least one more year)

Will I be allowed to pay Quebec in-province tuition when I obtain PR? Or will they disallow it for some reason?

Responses greatly appreciated.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what you are describing, you have nothing to offer Canada in terms of what is valued for immigration purposes. What category do you intend to qualify under?

If you immigrated under the Quebec process and have a CSQ you will only be charged resident tuition.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Were you convicted? If you weren't convicted, you shouldn't have a problem. I have the exact same charge on my record from 3 years ago.

If you don't know which category may fit you, check out this page:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

jeff23698

Dec 8, 2009
-Nyssa, fortunately I have not been convicted and it is very very unlikely that I will be convicted when it's all finally over.

-Karlshammer, care to elaborate on this CSQ further? I've read up on it but don't really know if I could qualify or not...But it sounds like it could be a very good thing.

-I don't really know which category I would fit under as I have only completed 3 semesters of college and have no skilled work experience that I know of. I've worked since age 15 but all my jobs have been typical low paying entry-level jobs suitable for students. But if I had to choose one it would be as a skilled worker but that could be a stretch to say the least, I really don't know.

-Basically, my ultimate goals here are to attend university in Quebec without having to pay international tuition, establish PR, and eventually gain citizenship. I'm willing to live in Quebec and work there for up to a year if that's what it takes to establish Permanent residency, but would definitely like to obtain PR much quicker than 12 months if possible. I'm somewhat skeptical of obtaining a study permit because of the info I've read stating that you are expected to leave the country upon completion of school under the study permit; I feel that I may very well likely want to continue living in Quebec upon completion of my education and certainly don't want to be forced to leave.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what you have described you are not qualified for Permanent Residence. Unfortunately the gov't will not grant PR to help people escape international tuition fees. ;)

If you do attend school under a study permit you can then apply for a post-graduate work permit, and if you garner enough experience, can apply under the Canadian Experience Class. I know very little about this class. You might be better off posting about it under the CEC category of the forum and you should be able to get some good advice.

jeff23698

Dec 8, 2009
Yea I don't know what I was thinking about that part in particular, perhaps a bit of desperation. Anyways I think I'll probably just suck it up and find a university with reasonable international tuition rates.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

jeff23698

Dec 8, 2009
A sound option overall. But Canadian universities are simply better. A huge con that comes with going to US universities is that you have to take general core courses such as math and science etc... Which is a complete waste a time when your say..a music major or w/e other field where being able to solve algebraic equations becomes of absolutely no use.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think lack of general education by itself makes a school better. On the contrary, most of the very top schools require general education in the U.S.A., and from what I understand, Canada as well.

If you want narrowly focused, single-subject university programs Europe is the best bet.

jeff23698 said:
A sound option overall. But Canadian universities are simply better. A huge con that comes with going to US universities is that you have to take general core courses such as math and science etc... Which is a complete waste a time when your say..a music major or w/e other field where being able to solve algebraic equations becomes of absolutely no use.