+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Must Canadian Citizen Sponsor Also Submit Police Certificate?

Jackez

May 26, 2017
I am a natural born Canadian citizen sponsoring my common law spouse from Asia who is currently living with me in Canada on a Temporary Visitor visa. I've already applied for an extension in conjunction with a Permanent Resident Application.

We have received, a response letter to the PR application requesting a police certificate for Family Member (accompanying or not)

My question is whether I, by the "Family Member" definition, a common law spouse, am required to also submit and criminal background check. The instructions on this subject are ambiguous which I have put in bold. The letter reads;

You (applicant) and all of your family members aged 18 or older (if applicable) must submit this form. The
document must be received at this office by November 30, 2017.

• At this time, you need to provide a police certificate for:

1) The country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more; and
2) The country where you have spent most of your adult life since the age of 18.
You must also provide this for every family member (whether accompanying you to Canada or not)
who is aged 18 or older. Please refer to your application guide for a definition of "family member".

Definitions
Family members http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#f

An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application to CIC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

The question is ....whether........as common law partner.("whether I'm accompanying or not"....which I'm neither )...do I need to submit a police certificate? I am not "accompanying" so am I a "not" and do I need to submit a police certificate?

FrostiRose

Star Member
Jan 20, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
16-01-2017
Doc's Request.
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
11-02-2017
Med's Request
16-02-2017
Med's Done....
28-02-2017
Passport Req..
01-02-2018
No, the sponsor does not need to submit that

Jaywill

Oct 14, 2017
I sent mine in regardless. doesn't hurt. they seem to like more info than less info. worst case they toss it out, best case it strengthens the app.

Reactions: Jackez