+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada with Autistic Teenager

Stella777

Oct 7, 2024
Good morning everyone,

This is my first time here. I wonder if i can relocate to Canada with an autistic Teenager ( he is non- verbal )

Has anyone done it or is currently doing it

Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sure. How are you relocating? Being on the spectrum doesn’t mean medical inadmissibility because you would be paying out of pocket for therapies.

Stella777

Oct 7, 2024
Hi Naturgrl,

How are you? Thanks for your prompt response.
Either by car or by plane. is that what you asking?
We live in the US

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Naturgrl,

How are you? Thanks for your prompt response.
Either by car or by plane. is that what you asking?
We live in the US
No through what immigration program are you immigrating through to relocate to Canada? Or are you just visiting? If immigrating then all would have passed a medical.

Stella777

Oct 7, 2024
I want to move there with my son. So there's a medical health to pass?

Also, I'm not quite sure the immigration program I need.

Thanks for your time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks for your time.
You would need to qualify through one of Canada's economic immigration programs. Suggest you start by researching these to understand requirements and if you will qualify and have enough points to be selected. Express Entry is a good one to start by researching.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thanks for your time.
And yes, there is a medical.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Thanks for your time.
Immigration is based on your age, work experience (skilled), language (IELTS/TEF), education (ECA) and funds. Start with Express Entry. Being a US citizen doesn’t allow you just to relocate to Canada. All family members must pass a medical. What is you current job (NOC)? How old is son?

Stella777

Oct 7, 2024
I'm a green card holder. I can get my American citizenship beginning of January 2025.

My son is 16.

I'm not currently working. I take care of him. I have been looking for a job and pray to have one soon Part Time.

I'm Fluent in Both English and French and have an Associate Degree in Computer Science ( Networking)

I also have a Career Diploma in Medical Billing/Coding.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a green card holder. I can get my American citizenship beginning of January 2025.

My son is 16.

I'm not currently working. I take care of him. I have been looking for a job and pray to have one soon Part Time.

I'm Fluent in Both English and French and have an Associate Degree in Computer Science ( Networking)

Having American citizenship/green card status is irrelevant. There's no preferred treatment for Americans.

Start by calculating how many points you have under EE. The fact you know both English and French will be an advantage. Your level of education will be a disadvantage. Note that your occupation isn't really in demand in Canada.

You will need to show minimum level of savings to qualify. You will also need the permission of your child's other parent to move them to Canada.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

My son is 16.

So you need to get ECA for degree and take French and English tests. Calculate your Express Entry selections score and then CRS score. You need one year of continuous, full time experience in one NOC to be eligible too. How old are you?

Your son needs to be medically admissable to Canada. Being on the spectrum doesn’t make him inadmissable but if he has other serious health concerns it could. Also there are no special services for those on the spectrum and given he is 16, he will most likely age out of programs at 18. Any therapies are paid out of pocket. So if you think coming to Canada will give him free services don’t count on it.

Stella777

Oct 7, 2024
That's I did a bit of research not a lot. I know they can give me a work permit and then residency. I believe for my child also.

EE? Yes, I know I have the advantage of being Bilingual. I prefer to move in the English part because my son is used to English ( I want a place where the accent is not too much ). I can change careers. I'm not sure what for now. Where can I get more info? Should I get an immigration lawyer?

So, they look at how much you have in your account?

I can get my child's father's approval to move.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That's I did a bit of research not a lot. I know they can give me a work permit and then residency. I believe for my child also.

EE? Yes, I know I have the advantage of being Bilingual. I prefer to move in the English part because my son is used to English ( I want a place where the accent is not too much ). I can change careers. I'm not sure what for now. Where can I get more info? Should I get an immigration lawyer?

Who can give you a work permit? You are asking about immigrating with PR not coming here on a closed work permit. You are not eligible for a work permit. Go on the IRCC site and research Express Entry. If you don’t want to do the research then hire an immigration lawyer. Get ECA, IELTS and TEF done.

You need to show a minium for 2 people of $18, 200 CDN at the time of PR application (6 month of statements) and while being processed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You need to do a lot more research or hire a lawyer to help you.

You need a job offer from an employer in Canada and an approved LMIA to get a work permit. This is not an easy process.

You need a minimum account balance of $18k.