+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving out of the province that nominated me for PR after status has been established

jckailun

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
Montreal, QC; Hong Kong
Category........
QSW
Hi everyone. I have found myself in a bit of a dilemma. I have not yet moved out and will not any time before the coming September. My story is as follows:

I have just become a permanent resident in January 2022 through the Quebec Skilled Worker program - the Quebec equivalence of PNPs. Since day 1 I arrived in Canada, I have been residing in the province of Quebec.

Recently, I've received a Ph.D. offer from an Ontario university. School begins this coming September. This is one of the top-notch schools in my field, so I am tempted to do my Ph.D. there. But then the problem comes: if I decided to do it in Ontario, it would mean that I could have left the province that "nominated" me for permanent residence, in which case I might be violating the initial "intent to reside in Quebec" even though PRs benefit from the freedom of mobility bestowed by the Charter. What I can tell you is that I have every intention to return to Quebec after my Ph.D. In fact, my common-law partner is doing hers in Quebec and will not leave.

Could this be a "family tie" with Quebec? Also, for the purpose of education, would my absence from QC be considered temporary or permanent?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone. I have found myself in a bit of a dilemma. I have not yet moved out and will not any time before the coming September. My story is as follows:

I have just become a permanent resident in January 2022 through the Quebec Skilled Worker program - the Quebec equivalence of PNPs. Since day 1 I arrived in Canada, I have been residing in the province of Quebec.

Recently, I've received a Ph.D. offer from an Ontario university. School begins this coming September. This is one of the top-notch schools in my field, so I am tempted to do my Ph.D. there. But then the problem comes: if I decided to do it in Ontario, it would mean that I could have left the province that "nominated" me for permanent residence, in which case I might be violating the initial "intent to reside in Quebec" even though PRs benefit from the freedom of mobility bestowed by the Charter. What I can tell you is that I have every intention to return to Quebec after my Ph.D. In fact, my common-law partner is doing hers in Quebec and will not leave.

Could this be a "family tie" with Quebec? Also, for the purpose of education, would my absence from QC be considered temporary or permanent?
You can leave Quebec. You are a PR and you can live wherever you want now. There's no need to maintain ties. PRs have the right to live anywhere.

jckailun

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
Montreal, QC; Hong Kong
Category........
QSW
You can leave Quebec. You are a PR and you can live wherever you want now. There's no need to maintain ties. PRs have the right to live anywhere.
Thank you @scylla for chiming in. I wasn’t very clear perhaps, but I was worrying about moving out because in 2 years I will be applying for citizenship. Would that be a problem if IRCC knew I had left QC in less than a year after I became PR from within QC?
I’m so confused and frustrated with it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you @scylla for chiming in. I wasn’t very clear perhaps, but I was worrying about moving out because in 2 years I will be applying for citizenship. Would that be a problem if IRCC knew I had left QC in less than a year after I became PR from within QC?
I’m so confused and frustrated with it.
Not a problem.

jckailun

Star Member
Mar 25, 2018
Montreal, QC; Hong Kong
Category........
QSW
Thank you for the reference to the actual legal document. I am aware of 6(2), but also 6(3) where restrictions to 6(2) are stated.

(3) The rights specified in subsection (2) are subject to

• (a) any laws or practices of general application in force in a province other than those that discriminate among persons primarily on the basis of province of present or previous residence; and
  • (b) any laws providing for reasonable residency requirements as a qualification for the receipt of publicly provided social services.
I don't quite understand what 6(3)(a) implies in my scenario. If I were to apply for citizenship in two years and that I have moved to another province before that, would 3(a) prevail? Sorry for the series of questions but it's really puzzling.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the reference to the actual legal document. I am aware of 6(2), but also 6(3) where restrictions to 6(2) are stated.

I don't quite understand what 6(3)(a) implies in my scenario. If I were to apply for citizenship in two years and that I have moved to another province before that, would 3(a) prevail? Sorry for the series of questions but it's really puzzling.

As long ad you spent some time in Quebec after PR you shouldn't worry. If people don't go to the province that sponsored them after they received PR then that could be problematic. In general best to spend a little bit of time in the province that sponsored you before moving just to avoid any potential questionning but it seems like you've already spent over a month in Quebec after PR and may be planning on staying until the summer so you have initially settled in Quebec abd shouldn't worry..

cutycuty

Aug 9, 2014
hi , any update about your move to other province ? i have the same issue like you as PR of quebec and willing to relocate to other province