+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from UK to Canada? Really at a loss here!

Texmex44

Feb 5, 2009
I intent to move to canada from the UK to be with my girlfriend who i meet in florida 2 years ago whilst i was working for Walt Disney. I have a Degree in Marketing, but have just recently graduated so my experience is limited, although i have been working for the last 8 years while at school. I have enough money to get me settled in Canada, plus fanacial backing from both sets of parents.

Could someone point me in the right direction. If i were to visit her for a few months could i apply for a visa while in canada or do i have to come back home and apply? Im aware that i could apply for a skilled workers visa, but is this the easiest step?

Any info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Andrew Creggan

mapleave

Feb 5, 2009
Hi Andrew

There are a few options for you. I came to Canada on a student visa from Australia thinking it would be simple to obtain a work visa. It’s not always the case. Here are few suggestions to make your transition easier.

This is basic list of things you will need regardless of what type of visa you choose.

Passport, try and make sure it has at least two years validity, it’s a pain to renew it out of the country.

Your University degree, final transcripts etc.

Bank statements. How much you have etc.

A letter from your employer stating you have worked for them, your experience with them, what special skills you possess.

Financial backing is key; it’s really great your Mum and Dad can help you out. They will probably have to write a statutory declaration stating they are willing to help you out.

Now onto visa types…

If you just want to visit you can come to Canada for 90 days with no visa. You will not be able to work or study though.

The first (and easiest) is to apply for a one year working visa. HOWEVER be aware that you cannot extent this type of visa. http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/missions/unitedkingdom-royaumeuni/youth_jeunes/menu-eng.asp . However if you decide to get married or are in a defacto relationship (I think you have to live together for 12 months) with your girlfriend she can sponsor you for a further visa…it will make life MUCH easier than the following options. IF you decide to go this route pretty much as soon as you arrive get joint back accounts, join her lease, joint EVERYTHING you can think of. Also start taking photos with you both together out and about, with her family etc. This just proves to immigration that you are actually together not just together on paper.

If you wanted a longer visa you could apply as a skilled worker. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/tool/index.asp take this survey to figure out if you are eligible. This can take quite some time, perhaps up to 2-3 years, longer from non-western countries. Also it makes getting a job a bit difficult the employer must prove to the Canadian govt that they can’t find a Canadian to do the job. A lot of employers don’t like having to do this; some are super good though and go out to fight for you.

The best thing you can do is contact a Canadian immigration lawyer, they normally give you a free first consultation and outline your options then you can decide if you want to proceed. Your girlfriend could go to the consultation (In Canada for you). It’s also useful even if you don’t want to use a lawyer they outline your options and you can then file the forms yourself.

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/site_map_nonimmigrant.htm Check out this website, it’s the CIC UK website.

Good luck!

canadastan

Star Member
Dec 17, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2008
Doc's Request.
22-12-2008
Med's Done....
04-02-2010
Interview........
=
Passport Req..
April fools day 2010
VISA ISSUED...
6 July REALY HOT CANADIAN DAY
LANDED..........
Happily ever after ............
Texmex44 said:
I intent to move to canada from the UK to be with my girlfriend who i meet in florida 2 years ago whilst i was working for Walt Disney. I have a Degree in Marketing, but have just recently graduated so my experience is limited, although i have been working for the last 8 years while at school. I have enough money to get me settled in Canada, plus fanacial backing from both sets of parents.

Could someone point me in the right direction. If i were to visit her for a few months could i apply for a visa while in canada or do i have to come back home and apply? Im aware that i could apply for a skilled workers visa, but is this the easiest step?

Any info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Andrew Creggan
How many years were you together, sorry but it sounds like you barely know each other, you think you are making this move at the right time?
if so, I wish you the best of luck.

sorry if the sound of my comment offends you, english is not my first language.

Canadastan

schmeichel

Star Member
Sep 27, 2008
Mapleave, thats great for a first post! You seem intent on staying on in Canada, which I find surprising considering that you are from Australia! Anyway good luck to you Andrew, its great to hear one of those romantic love stories, hope it all works out well for you!