+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving back to Canada from USA with wife who is US Citizen

eskie2151

Aug 3, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen living in the USA as a permanent resident. My wife is a US citizen. We were married in the USA.

We would like to move to Canada, therefore I would like to sponsor her to become a permanent resident of Canada.

What is the fastest way for her to become a permanent resident of Canada? How long would it take?

After she becomes a permanent resident of Canada how soon does she qualify for health care?

After she becomes a permanent resident of Canada how soon can she start to work in Canada?

After she becomes a permanent resident of Canada can she work in the USA?

Can she stay with me in Canada while her application is being processed if we apply for her PR from Canada?

Can she cross the Canada-US border while the application is being processed?

Thanks for the help,

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eskie2151 said:
What is the fastest way for her to become a permanent resident of Canada? How long would it take?
You'd probably be best off submitting an outland application. (While inland applications get you a work permit before processing is complete, outland applications are usually faster.) Processing time can vary, depending on whether they determine an interview is required, if anything comes up in a background check, or other factors.
After she becomes a permanent resident of Canada how soon does she qualify for health care?
This depends on which province you move to. It's immediately in Alberta and three months in Ontario.
After she becomes a permanent resident of Canada how soon can she start to work in Canada?
Immediately.
After she becomes a permanent resident of Canada can she work in the USA?
If she's a U.S. citizen, then she can live and/or work in the U.S. as much as she wants. (There are residency requirements for maintaining Canadian PR and acquiring Canadian citizenship, but those do not affect her status in the U.S.)