+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Move to Canada now or wait for spouses PR?

dan214

Mar 7, 2022
Good morning,
I am a Canadian citizen who moved to the United States in 1985. I met my now husband in 1986 and we were legally married in Washington State in December of 2012. I have applied for my husband to get his PR status using the Family Sponsorship (from outside Canada).

Last week I bought a home in British Columbia and I have a question about our timing for moving to BC. I paid the application fee and submitted all paperwork on January 13th, 2022. I have not received any confirmation on whether I have been accepted as an eligible sponsor.

Here's the question: Should we move to Canada now and reside at the new home while my husband's application is being processed, or should the new home just be our extended vacation home until I get word on my husband's application?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good morning,
I am a Canadian citizen who moved to the United States in 1985. I met my now husband in 1986 and we were legally married in Washington State in December of 2012. I have applied for my husband to get his PR status using the Family Sponsorship (from outside Canada).

Last week I bought a home in British Columbia and I have a question about our timing for moving to BC. I paid the application fee and submitted all paperwork on January 13th, 2022. I have not received any confirmation on whether I have been accepted as an eligible sponsor.

Here's the question: Should we move to Canada now and reside at the new home while my husband's application is being processed, or should the new home just be our extended vacation home until I get word on my husband's application?

Thanks.
Would be better for you to move to Canada but your spouse can’t move until they get PR. They would only be able to visit until then. Since you’ve been outside of Canada for so long moving back would show URCC that you are returning to live in Canada.