+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Move to Canada from Europe

unknown1

Feb 11, 2010
I'm Estonian and I'm thinking about moving to Canada.

I'm 17 years old and I've decided to take 1 or 2 years off before continueing with school. Those 1 or 2 years would be perfect to settle in and then continue my studies in a local school. My main concern is finding a job for that 1 or 2 years.
Is it even possible to move to Canada at the age of 17 and work there?

How hard would it be for 17 years old to find a job in Canada? Type of job doesn't matter at all, nor does the wage.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At age 17, you are still a minor child in Canada. I very much doubt you would get a work permit even if you managed to find an employer who wanted to hire you. In many provinces, 18 is the age of majority so at 18, you would have a better chance but still not easy. To get a work permit for you, the employer has to prove that he could not find anybody else who wanted or was qualified for the job and he must be offering market wage. If he manages to prove that, he could get a labour market opinion and you can use that to apply for a work permit but there is still no guarantee that your work permit would be granted. You also have to prove that you have strong ties to your home country and will return there when your work permit expires.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is not easy to immigrate unless you have skills, education etc., something of value to Canada.

Since you are Estonian, all of Europe is open to you, is it not? Why don't you go to some country in Europe to work instead? Then get your education and work experience and if you still want to immigrate to Canada, you can do it then.

unknown1

Feb 11, 2010
Language is the main problem.
I don't think it would be very easy to move to another country without speaking the native language. There's UK but I'm not really a fan of UK...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it would be easier for you to learn a new language than to immigrate to Canada if you don't have the required skills. You seem to be doing fine with English.