+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother in law told the CBSA partner was working out-of-status, help!

bbarker

Feb 2, 2019
Hello,

Soooo my partner is out of status right now (he was on a OWP when we applied for in-land PR but it was returned incomplete and now we've just resubmitted to restore his status along with the other apps). His mother who has left America 3 times in her life, and never by herself, drove up to visit us this May long. We told her what the CBSA would probably ask and gave her the TRUE answers but she got grilled and was SUPER nervous as she's never traveled by herself and told the agent my partner's wrong birth year (mixed it up with another son) and that she knew nothing about his immigration status only that we were going through the immigration process (truth because it is complicated) but that he was working (not true). The agents took his cellphone number and my contact details as they could see his OWP expired in Feb 2019 and let her through.

Can anyone provide insight into how CBSA would deal with investigating this? Do they call, do they send agents to your door in the middle of the workday, do they do a stakeout and follow your car? lol.. Does the CBSA automatically let IRCC know to reject his app?

Should I go to the border with his record of employment from his last employer showing that he stopped working about a month ago? I want to be proactive rather than reactive but I don't want to send him because he's out of status and we can't prove that we've resubmitted and applied to restore his status yet as we haven't gotten the AOR or whatever IRCC sends you when they acknowledge receipt of the package and that they're processing it.

I know this looks bad to the CBSA but she's 62, very very very sheltered, was scared and has some early age-related neurological degeneration (she actually brought us her brain scans to break the news to us, which I kept thinking it could be helpful). Any advice would be amazing, particularly if there is a retired CBSA agent out there that is feeling generous with their institutional knowledge :) Thank you!!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
They may call you, they may flag the file for further follow-up. They may do nothing at all.

If they took his cellphone and your contact details, I imagine that if they're going to do anything, part of it is getting in contact with you.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You shouldn't worry too much. It's quite possible that the CBSA officer thought your MIL was just nervous and gave random answers - it's not uncommon. Heck, if my mom was asked detailed questions about what I do for a living, she would have no idea beyond the name of my company and my title. My mom knows I'm a PR, but again, if she was asked detailed questions around exactly when I became a PR, or exactly when I started working, she simply would not be able to answer.

There's no need to panic and contact CBSA. IF you get contacted, that's when you provide proof of his not working etc. There's a very good chance that nothing at all will happen.

Being out of status is not a bar to getting sponsored as a spouse/common-law partner, so take it easy.