+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MNI for Family Sponsorship

Shadow Rider

Nov 22, 2018
Hey folks. I have a question regarding Minimum Necessary Income (MNI).

I moved to Canada in 2013 as single and I applied for parents sponsorship in 2017. Their application is now in the queue waiting for its turn which means that as a sponsor, I have an obligation to maintain yearly income until they receive PR.

Income wise, in 2013 and 2014 I met the MNI requirements for 3 persons (myself plus both parents). However, since 2015 when I got married and my family size became 4 from the sponsorship standpoint I have maintained the MNI for 4 people. Now a question recently came up whether I should have met the MNI requirements for 4 people back in 2013 and 2014 also? (Wouldn’t make sense since I was single at the time but I want to make sure if my understanding is correct).

Also what happens if you have a baby and the family size becomes 5? Of course I will I have to maintain MNI for 5 people from that point until PR. But similar to my question above, does having a baby impact the MNI requirements for the years prior to when baby was born?

And while I have your kind attention, do I have to voluntarily inform CIC of any change in family size while the PR application is still in progress?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Do I have to maintain a minimum income during the processing of the application?
Your Minimum Necessary Income must meet or exceed the Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship above on the date on which the sponsorship application is signed until the day your family members are granted status as permanent residents.

Income may be reassessed at any time during processing if new information indicates that you may no longer meet the minimum income requirements or if more than 12 months have passed between the dates on which we receive your application and when processing of the application begins.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey folks. I have a question regarding Minimum Necessary Income (MNI).

I moved to Canada in 2013 as single and I applied for parents sponsorship in 2017. Their application is now in the queue waiting for its turn which means that as a sponsor, I have an obligation to maintain yearly income until they receive PR.

Income wise, in 2013 and 2014 I met the MNI requirements for 3 persons (myself plus both parents). However, since 2015 when I got married and my family size became 4 from the sponsorship standpoint I have maintained the MNI for 4 people. Now a question recently came up whether I should have met the MNI requirements for 4 people back in 2013 and 2014 also? (Wouldn’t make sense since I was single at the time but I want to make sure if my understanding is correct).

Also what happens if you have a baby and the family size becomes 5? Of course I will I have to maintain MNI for 5 people from that point until PR. But similar to my question above, does having a baby impact the MNI requirements for the years prior to when baby was born?

And while I have your kind attention, do I have to voluntarily inform CIC of any change in family size while the PR application is still in progress?
You needed to meet LICO for all qualifying years for the family size at the time you applied. From what you have said, you did not not meet LICO for all 3 years when you applied and can therefore expect to be refused.

When a family change happens after the app is submitted, the increase in LICO applies from that year onwards.

Yes, you are required to inform IRCC of family composition changes.