+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Misrepresentation? What to do?

webber2022

Sep 13, 2022
I have a problem, and I think it's a big one.

Some time ago I applied for a work permit and received it. I had to attach a Police Certificate and I did that.

The problem is that 14 years ago I committed a crime. I am from a European country and here the conviction after a certain period of time is considered never to have occurred. According to what I was told by many people and a lawyer, I don't have to tell anyone about this event. So when asked about my criminal record, I indicated that I had never been convicted. It was simply logical to me all these years. In my country I have no criminal record and a good reputation.

What should be done in such a situation? Can I cancel my application (I have already received a work permit valid for almost a year) and apply for rehabilitation? Are there any mitigating circumstances in my case - if I send the information myself via web form to immigration before I arrive in Canada?

Most likely I will be considered misrepresentstion and get a ban for 5 years, right?

It doesn't matter too much, but for these 14 years I haven't done anything wrong, I have a stable job and a family. Even my wife doesn't know about my past. I'm really serious about immigration but I don't know what I should do.

I really did not intend to deceive anyone, this is the legal state of affairs in my country