+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Misrepresentation on the past study permit, can still make a correct?

Krystine

Dec 12, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
17-05-2018
Med's Done....
23-04-2018
Passport Req..
27-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2018
LANDED..........
14-10-2018
Hello guys,

Me and my boyfriend will go under PR application soon with me being a principal applicant and having my boy friend as a common-law partner - that will be either CEC or PNP.

Regarding our background, we have been living together since March 2016, and we officially became a common-law partner in March 2017. To be honest, we recognized our relationship as a common-law very recently since we are both international and have had no idea about the concept of the common-law definition.

The thing is that, my boy friend applied to extend his study permit in March 2017 - when we did not know that we are common-law, and he declared himself as a single in the application and got it approved.

I have been working in Canada on my open work permit since 2015, so I do not think I would affect negatively into his application if i were included. Anyways, I just realized that he did a misrepresentation on his past application that may affect on our PR application negatively. I am very very stressful.

We have never meant to lie on our application and will never lie ever on our application. But it happened that time because of without knowing our relationship. To give more detail, he submitted his application 1 day before the date that we officially became a common-law. So, technically he was a single at that moment of the submission. Anyways, we would've notified to CIC about our marital change while the file was on process.

My question is, I would like to notify CIC about the mistake we made truthfully by sending an explanation letter that incorrect marital status information was included in his study permit, when we apply for PR. Would it be accepted? I hope CIC would not reject our PR application because of the mistake. It will be very devastating and hopeless for us.

Last edited:

us2canada123

Jul 26, 2021
Hi @Krystine,

I'm in a similar situation - I didn't disclose (because I didn't know) my common law partnership for my approved closed work permit, and I now wish to add my partner to my PR application which is currently being processed. Can you please let me know how you went about it? Thank you!