+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minor errors with residency tracking

Nocturno

Jun 5, 2016
Hello,

I am preparing to submit my citizenship application - per my own count, I will have met the 1095 day residency requirement on 1/26, and was going to intentionally wait (at least) two more weeks to stay on the safe side. I had generally maintained a file on my computer, recording the exit and re-entry date immediately after returning from my trip. I've since cross-referenced this against historical vacation and business trip data maintained by my company's HR, and it checked out OK.

However, as a final check, since most of my trips were business or vacation trips to the US, I've checked the US online I-94 records - and in a couple of cases, I've noticed a 1-day discrepancy, sometimes in favour of having spent a day longer in Canada, sometimes not. I believe the reason for this are a couple of times when I've crossed the border very close to midnight. What should I do? Obviously it would be best to get a matching listing from the Canadian border services, but that would delay my application by months. If I still meet my residency requirement, will it be a red flag against me if I've missed my date of departure or return by a day in a couple of cases?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
I would advise that you wait a little bit longer to have some buffer. If it adds a month to your eligibility period, then it is safer to wait a month.